RTL Filenames garbled when there is a partial match

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
shmidman

RTL Filenames garbled when there is a partial match

Post by shmidman »

I'm using version 1.2.1.452, which has a nice feature that the part of the filename that matches the search term is displayed in bold.
However, when the filename includes a string of characters in a RTL language (in my case, Hebrew), the bolding of the matching characters ends up distorting the proper order of the characters in the filename.
For instance, I have a file with the Hebrew name:
אבן שכתוב, תרביץ עח.pdf
However, when I search for the three-letter string תרב, the filename is displayed as follows:
יץתרב, אבן שכתוב.pdf
It seems to me that in order to display RTL strings properly, the entire string must be passed all at once to the ScriptOut API. If, in order to bold a portion of the string, you break it up into three separate string-out operations, the correct RTL order can no longer be maintained.
I don't know if it is possible to easily fix this; however, at the least, I would suggest that there be an option to turn off the bolding of the matching search characters, as a workaround for those using RTL languages.
Thanks again for a great product!
- Avi
therube

Re: RTL Filenames garbled when there is a partial match

Post by therube »

Tools | Options | View -> Show highlighted search terms.
shmidman

Post by shmidman »

Thanks!
shmidman

Post by shmidman »

This issue is now resolved completely with 1.3.1.636b. Search term highlighting now works perfectly with RTL filenames.
Thanks David for this excellent product!