Poor handling of the service being stopped

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
yetAnotherForum

Poor handling of the service being stopped

Post by yetAnotherForum »

I have Everything (version 1.4.1.1005 x64) installed and set to use a service. If I stop the service - as occasionally the installation of software requires - and then try to use Everything then something bad happens. Or rather sometimes one bad thing happens and at other times another (though similar) bad thing happens. Now admittedly I should have restarted the service but my point is that Everything handles the situation poorly.

The one bad thing is the appearance of this dialogue box:
Screenshot 2021-05-07 172412.png
Screenshot 2021-05-07 172412.png (30.32 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
That is bad because the service is installed already; it needs to be started.

The other bad thing: sometimes the aforementioned dialogue does appear, but not for a minute or so, and in the meantime Everything shows no results for queries.
void
Developer

Re: Poor handling of the service being stopped

Post by void »

Thanks for the feedback yetAnotherForum,

Added to my TODO list:
Show:
Start the Everything Service
instead of:
Install the Everything Service
(If the Everything Service is already installed).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently, clicking 'Install the Everything Service', re-installs and starts the Everything Service .

Everything will wait for up to 1 minute for the Service to start.
It is possible for Everything to start on system startup before the Everything Service is started.
I'll look into ways to have Everything show this prompt immediately if started manually.

The Everything 1.5 Alpha will at least let you search your old index until the "Everything" requires admin privileges prompt is shown.
void
Developer

Re: Poor handling of the service being stopped

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1258a improves this 'Access denied' dialog.

If the Everything Service is install and not running, Everything will now give you the option to Start the Service. (instead of re-installing the Everything Service)

Everything will now also show this access denied dialog immediately when it is run manually. (without the -startup command line option)