Everything not finding firefox.exe

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
aussieboykie

Everything not finding firefox.exe

Postby aussieboykie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:13 am

If I navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox the firefox.exe executable is present but when I search for it with Everything it is not found.

I have tried searching for other items in the same folder (e.g. crashreporter.exe or chrome.manifest) and they are found without a problem. If I make a copy of firefox.exe and save it in another folder, the copy is found. It seems to be just C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe that is problematic. In case it is possibly relevant, it looks like Firefox auto updated 3 days ago to version 56.0 on the system where this happens.

Any ideas, or debugging steps you would like me to try?

aussieboykie

Re: Everything not finding firefox.exe

Postby aussieboykie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:21 am

More investigation appears to confirm that it is only firefox.exe that is not being found. If I search with Everything for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\" 128 objects are listed whereas if I use Directory Opus flat view to look at the same folder a total of 129 objects are listed, the only difference being firefox.exe.

NotNull

Postby NotNull » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm

aussieboykie wrote:More investigation appears to confirm that it is only firefox.exe that is not being found. If I search with Everything for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\" 128 objects are listed whereas if I use Directory Opus flat view to look at the same folder a total of 129 objects are listed, the only difference being firefox.exe.

This might have something to do with version 56 of Firefox: from this version on, 32 bit installations (like you have) will be upgraded to 64 bit versions:
Second, Firefox is now 64-bit by default on all operating systems, and existing 32-bit installations will automatically upgrade to 64-bit builds if supported by the underlying hardware.

( https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/10/firef ... e-quantum/ )

I assume Firefox.exe in the "Progam Files (x86)" folder is now a link to the one in "Progam Files" (the 64-bit programs are installed there).
And Everything doesn't index linked files/folders.

Can't test it though, as I'm running the 64 bit version of Firefox (since a long time).

aussieboykie

Postby aussieboykie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Interesting idea! It was worth checking but there is no Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files and the firefox.exe in Program Files (x86) is very definitely an EXE and not a link. This is really weird.

therube

Postby therube » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 am

Nothing in Tools | Options -> Indexes ==> Exclude?
No filters in effect?

Try a (Tools | Options -> Indexes) Force Rebuild of the index?

aussieboykie

Postby aussieboykie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am

therube wrote:Nothing in Tools | Options -> Indexes ==> Exclude?
No filters in effect?

Try a (Tools | Options -> Indexes) Force Rebuild of the index?

There were no filters in effect but your suggestion of forcing an index rebuild did the trick. Thank you. :)

Return to “Bug report”