[SOLVED] Recursive search

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
leo

[SOLVED] Recursive search

Post by leo »

Hi everyone,
is there a shortcut to "recursively" search inside the path of an element shown in the results list?
I try to explain better the desired behaviour.
Let's say i don't remember the name of a file or folder but i know its parent folder name. I start searching (the parent folder) and it appears in the results list. I press TAB (to switch from the search bar to the results list) and go down to this folder.
Now, i can right-click and select "Search Everything" in the context menu: in this way the path is pasted in the search bar and i can now search inside that path.
I can achieve almost the same behaviour with hotkeys CTRL+SHIFT+C (on the highlighted folder) to copy path, then TAB to move to the search bar and then CTRL+V to paste the path.
My question is if there is a shortcut to do this all at once: copy the path of a selected item, paste it to the search bar and put the cursor focus here, to continue typing my search.
I've googled a lot and looked at other topics here, but i didn't find anything similar to what i want to do.
Thanks
Last edited by leo on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Re: Recursive search

Post by NotNull »

There is an option to drag the foldername to the search bar, causing it to show the contents of that folder in the result list.

If that is something that can help you:
  • Completely exit Everything by right-clicking it's system tray icon and choosing Exit
  • Open Everything.ini in a text editor [1]
  • Change the line with search_edit_drag_accept_files=0 to:

Code: Select all

search_edit_drag_accept_files=1
  • Save your changes
  • Start Everything.
I can't think of any convenient keyboard-only solution at the moment.
BTW: Choosing Search Everything... from the context menu will also activate the search bar, so you can start typing right away

[1] Everything.ini can be found in the folder %APPDATA%\Everything (enter that path in File Explorer's address bar and press ENTER) or else in the folder where your Everything.exe is.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I am a bit slow today ... there *is* a keyboard only solution! (although not very obvious ..)

• Completely exit Everything by right-clicking it's system tray icon and choosing Exit
  • Open Everything.ini in a text editor [1]
  • Change the line with custom_verb01= to:

custom_verb01=Search Everything...
    This should be *exactly* that.
  • Save your changes
  • Start Everything.
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Keyboard
  • In the Show commands containing: box, type
    verb
  • In the box below, select File | Custom Verb 1
  • Click the Add button
  • Use shortcut in: = Result List
  • Select a free Shortcut key. I used CTRL+K
  • OK
  • Done.
Now you can select a folder in the result list, press CTRL-K and the folder appears in the search bar. Cursor too :)

This requires Show Search Everything folder context menu item to be enabled (under Menu:Tools > Options > General)

[1] Everything.ini can be found in the folder %APPDATA%\Everything (enter that path in File Explorer's address bar and press ENTER) or else in the folder where your Everything.exe is.
leo

Post by leo »

Thank you very much, exactly what i was looking for!! :D

Just for completeness (hoping it will help someone else), i changed the string
Search Everything...
with the one showing in my system language (in my case, italian):
Cerca con Everything...

Thank you again! 👍
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You're welcome!

leo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 pm Just for completeness (hoping it will help someone else), ....
It certainly helps me, as I didn't consider this at all. Thanks!

@void:
Suggestion: Consider keeping the verb fixed like SearchEverything and change the view language dependent. Like this:
(spaces in verbs are not recommended, anyway :))

[...\shell\SearchEverything]
Icon=C:\\Tools\\Everything\\Everything.exe,0
MUIVerb=Cerca con Everything....
leo

Re: [SOLVED] Recursive search

Post by leo »

Suggestion: Consider keeping the verb fixed like SearchEverything and change the view language dependent. Like this:
Ok, you went too deep for my little-to-no knowledge about Verbs... 😅
But thank you anyway for improving the answer!