Files and folder in Box folder do not show up

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
pstrg

Files and folder in Box folder do not show up

Post by pstrg »

Everything 1.4.1.1005 (x64)
Windows 10 Pro

Folders and files in Dropbox folder (located at c:\users\<username>\dropbox\) do appear on Everything searches as expected.
Installed also Box (box.com) and just noted that files and folders in Box folder (located at c:\users\<username>\box\) do not appear in searches; I refer to folders and files marked to be available offline.
Went offline and verified that the offline folders and files are really in the machine, not only in the cloud.

To circumvent the problem, added c:\users\<username>\box to the list (was empty) at Options > Index \ Folders - index was quickly updated and Box files and folders began to appear.
Just to check, removed that path from the list - Box folders and files disappeared again from searches.

Why that? Dropbox does not but Box requires me to explicitly add its folder to force Everything to see them.
void
Developer

Re: Files and folder in Box folder do not show up

Post by void »

The Box folder in C:\users\<username>\Box is a folder junction to a virtual file system.
You can see this from a DIR command in C:\users\<username>

The Box virtual file system is formatted as FAT32.
fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo \\?\Volume{BOX-VOLUME-GUID}

The contents of this folder are not really on your C: drive (although storage for the virtual file system might be located on your C: drive)

Because this is a normal FAT volume, Everything can read it as a normal file system folder.
pstrg

Post by pstrg »

Interesting - the detailed explanation also contained something to learn about; thank you.
pacoborja83

Post by pacoborja83 »

Hi!

I tried and it's is working when mapped in Indexes --> Folder.
However, I find that very often the BOX folder indexes are deleted automatically and I need to regenerate them again.
Any clue about why is this happening?

Thanks!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything might be seeing the C:\users\<username>\Box folder as found even when the target box volume is not mounted yet.

I will work on a fix.

For now, please try disabling folder_update_rescan_asap:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /folder_update_rescan_asap=0
  • If successful, folder_update_rescan_asap=0 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
This will prevent Everything from updating your box folder on startup when it might not be mounted yet.

Please let me know if the issue persists.