Issues w/ underscore & !

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
NorthvilleDave

Issues w/ underscore & !

Post by NorthvilleDave »

Hi All,

For many, many years I have depended on Everything to locate files and folders my 85 y.o. brain has lost or forgotten about! Recently I have encountered some issues associated with the under and ! characters -

I have two up-to-date Win 10 Home systems - although file and folder with names beginning with an ! are shown in the in the display window, neither of them can one of them will display the files if an ! is the is entered into the search bar.

One machine, still running Version 1.3.4.686 (x64), has no issues with the underscore character in file or folder names.

The other system, running 1.4.1.1005 (x64), is unable to find any files or folders if an underscore is in the search bar. Reinstalling 1.4 did no good, but when I installed 1.3.4.686 this system now finds files with underscore in the file name.

Is this underscore issue a problem with my system or did V 1.4.1 break something?

Back to the ! issue - I could swear that in the past Everything could find files & folders with an ! as the first character of the name - am I incorrect about this!

Thanks for any help here.

Dave
NotNull

Re: Issues w/ underscore & !

Post by NotNull »

The ! issue
The exclamation mark (!) has a special meaning in Everything; it means NOT.
So, seraching for
!everything
means NOT everything and will return all files and folders that don't have everything somewhere in their name.

If you want to find filenames with a ! in their name, enclose it in double-quotes, like this:
"!"

If you want to find filenames that start with ! in their name, you can use this search:
startwith:!

(no need for "" when searching like this, but startwith:"!" will work too: )

The underscore issue
You might have enabled some of the search options, like Match Whole Word
In the menu, click on Search and make sure only Everything is checked.
When thta is configured correctly, searching for
_
should return filenames with an underscore in their name. Also in version 1.4
(I suspect version 1.3 used a different Everything.ini where this was already configured correctly)

Does this solve your issues?
NorthvilleDave

Post by NorthvilleDave »

Thanks times 100, !Null"!" (I can't believe I did that"!")

I may have once known but forgotten that ! signified "not."

I'll start using it in searches just so I won't I won't forget its meaning.

I just verified that "_" searches were still working on 1.3 - I reinstalled 1.4 and _ searches fail once again.

The only thing checked under the search tab was "everything" in both cases.

I am now running 1.4 on the system that was previously running 1.3 without any issues.

My other system still has issues with 1.4 but found the "portable" version of 1.4 has no issues, so will use that for the time being. This machine, an 18 month old Dell Inspiron has other issues also - once I have tracked them down and fixed them, I'll revisit the Everything issue.

Again, thanks much for your help!

Dave
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is this underscore issue a problem with my system or did V 1.4.1 break something?
There's no known issue with underscores in Everything 1.4.

Could you please send some debug output when searching for: _
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • Search for: _
  • What is shown in the debug console?
To close the debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug