Long paths and copy & paste

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
benni

Long paths and copy & paste

Post by benni »

hi @ll,

i'm using "everything" for quite a while now and I'm pretty happy. but in the last weeks / months, I registered a bug.

when I'm having long paths in the results window, I can't copy/cut files and paste them in a different location - not even one with a short path. If I do a "cut" (CTRL + X), I see that everything marks those files as cut (the icon changes), but I can't paste them anywhere.

my workaround is to cut some folders before, move everything to a different location (with less path length) and then search there again.

i'm not sure if that bug came with a new update of everything (1.4.1.1002 x64) or from somewhere else. i'm using windows 7 x64 with all updates.

maybe you could help me... maybe you've already found a solution to that problem (I haven't found it in this forum).

[edit] i found something. when i open the path of such a file within everything (right click > open path), i'm getting the "my documents" folder which is not at all part of the path. maybe that's a hint for the programmers..

regards
benni
void
Developer

Re: Long paths and copy & paste

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback and bug report.

Unfortunately, Everything is currently limited to 259 characters for the full path and filename.

Everything may have a stale result, preventing you from copying files, please try forcing a rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.
Having a single file with a path longer than 259 characters in your selection may prevent all files from copying.

Please try the following search to limit results to 259 or less characters:
path:len:<=259

Please try the following search to find files with 260 or more characters:
path:len:>259

Copying files by their shortname as a work around is in development.
benni

Post by benni »

thank you very much for your fast reply.

i thought there was a different behavior in the past. then i probably was wrong with that assumption.

ok, then i'll wait for the workaround :)

regards,
benni
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Can't test right now, but I vaguely remember using Advanced copy for this ( under menu:Edit > Advanced )
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:17 pm Unfortunately, Everything is currently limited to 259 characters for the full path and filename.
However, this does not apply to a current Windows 10 version... if you set it up yourself based on this detailed description:

Code: Select all

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/
https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/

Post by horst.epp »

benni wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:01 pm hi @ll,

i'm using "everything" for quite a while now and I'm pretty happy. but in the last weeks / months, I registered a bug.

when I'm having long paths in the results window, I can't copy/cut files and paste them in a different location - not even one with a short path. If I do a "cut" (CTRL + X), I see that everything marks those files as cut (the icon changes), but I can't paste them anywhere.

my workaround is to cut some folders before, move everything to a different location (with less path length) and then search there again.

i'm not sure if that bug came with a new update of everything (1.4.1.1002 x64) or from somewhere else. i'm using windows 7 x64 with all updates.

maybe you could help me... maybe you've already found a solution to that problem (I haven't found it in this forum).

[edit] i found something. when i open the path of such a file within everything (right click > open path), i'm getting the "my documents" folder which is not at all part of the path. maybe that's a hint for the programmers..

regards
benni
As a possible work-around.
Most file managers are supporting now overlong path and file names.
So configure the context menu of Everything for your file manager, start it with the found results
and handle the file operations from it.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

tuska wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:00 pm
void wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:17 pm Unfortunately, Everything is currently limited to 259 characters for the full path and filename.
However, this does not apply to a current Windows 10 version... if you set it up yourself based on this detailed description:

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/
https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/

Post by tuska »

horst.epp wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:51 pm This may not help or even crash if Everything is not prepared to handle such pathes.
Well, in my first test I copied in 'Everything' 3 files at the same time, which had a total path length >259 characters.
I could paste these in the file manager 'Total Commander' without any problems -> total path length <259 characters.

In the second test, I copied in 'Everything' 1 file (206 characters), as follows:

Path length: 140 characters
Name length: 206 characters
---------------------------
Total .....: 346 characters
===========================
I pasted this file in Windows Explorer without any problems into another directory,
which exceeded the total path length of 259 characters:

Path length: 127 characters
Name length: 206 characters
-------------------------
Total .....: 333 characters
===========================
I can't see any problem on Windows 10 Pro and 'Everything' Version 1.4.1.1005 (x64)
- after changing the registry as described in the link - at the moment.

See also: viewtopic.php?p=24825#p24825

Path length greater than 259 characters.png
Path length greater than 259 characters.png (65.44 KiB) Viewed 10271 times