out of memory error

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
danzer

out of memory error

Post by danzer »

i really like this tool, however i seem to usually get an out of memory error, i have installed the 64bit version after previously using the 32bit version, it seems to have made a small improvement in how many files can be opened, however it really seems that only a few hundred video thumbnails can be opened before it crashes and is out of memory which is rather frustrating. if i change the thumbnail size to medium rather than large it can definetly open more however then the thumbs are so small its very difficult to see them. my laptop is pretty fast i7-7820 @2.90ghz, 16gb ram, gtx 1080. what is the biggest factor in this? ram size? is there setting i can change to help or fix this error? i would love to be able to use everything and be able to find files esp video files and not have it crash, any help would be appreciated.
therube

Re: out of memory error

Post by therube »

What happens when you get this "out of memory error"?
Is it Everything that crashes?

If you load a few hundred video thumbs in Windows Explorer, do you get anything similar?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Windows version?
Everything version?

A specific filetype that causes crashing )like MKV etc)?

To be able to view thumbnails, there needs to be a thumbnail handler installed. This thumbnail handler is he most probable cause for your issue.

You can download the 64-bit version of ShellExView [1] to check which program is responsible for showing the thumbnails:
- Start shexview.exe
- sort by Type
- Scroll down to Thumbnail Handler

Make sure this program is 64-bit.

That is all I can do for you (don't know anything about thumbnails ..)

[1] No need to install as it's portable; just extract and run.
danzer

Post by danzer »

Everything version
Version 1.4.1.1003 (x64)

Windows 10 home version 1909

im not sure if the issue is related to thumbnails, it seems to be a memory limit issue with everything

thumbnails load without issue in windows, i have tens of TBs of video files, some folders contain over 10k video files

thumbnails load, it just takes a long time for example to sort them in one folder for example, by date or size

id love to know what affects this, as windows doesnt seem to handle this well, is it RAM, CPU. graphics card?

im going to try shellexview but yeah it really seems to be a memory limit issue within everything itself

i will take a screenshot of the exact error next time it happens and upload here
void
Developer

Post by void »

Each 256x256 thumbnail consumes 256KB of ram, for 10,000 thumbnails you will need 2GB which is the maximum size the x86 version of Everything can allocate.

Please make sure you have uninstalled the x86 version of Everything:
  • From the Start menu, search for control
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click Programs and features.
  • Select Everything x86 and click Uninstall.
  • Re-install the x64 version of Everything.

If the out of memory condition occurred in Everything, the error should look like:
out of memory <x>
where <x> is the number of bytes Everything is trying to allocate.

-If x is a really large value it may indicate database corruption, please try creating a new Everything.db:
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • In Windows Explorer, type in the following address and press ENTER:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything
  • Delete your Everything.db
  • Restart Everything.
Could you please send some debug output?
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
    this will show the Everything debug console.
  • In Everything, load some thumbnails and wait for Everything to run out of memory. (don't close this error message)
  • What is shown in the debug console?
id love to know what affects this, as windows doesnt seem to handle this well, is it RAM, CPU. graphics card?
It could be a shell extension that is loading the thumbnails or date information, or other properties.
It could be or a certain file or file type tripping up the shell extension that is loading thumbnails/properties.

Please try disabling shell extensions with ShellExView to see if it helps.

There might be a handle leak in Everything, how many handles is Everything using?
  • In the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + ESC), click the Details tab
  • From the View menu, click Select columns....
  • Check Handles, USER objects and GDI handles.
  • Wait for Everything to show the out of memory error. (don't close this error message)
  • How many Handles, USER objects and GDI handles is the Everything.exe process using?
  • How much (Working Set) memory is the Everything.exe process using?

Everything normally loads thumbnails as 256x256
Please try decreasing the thumbnail load size:
    /thumbnail_load_size=64
    where 64 is the width and height of the thumbnail and can be anywhere from 0 to 1024.
  • If successful, you should see thumbnail_load_size=64 in the status bar for a few seconds.
To set the thumbnail load size back to the default:
    /thumbnail_load_size=0
  • If successful, you should see thumbnail_load_size=0 in the status bar for a few seconds.