Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Post Reply
jhon65
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:44 am

Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by jhon65 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:57 am

Hi All

Please I have a list of academic pdf files (around 2500) of books, journals ...etc
Is there any way to rename these pdf files according to its titles, authors, year ...etc

Thanks in advance

void
Site Admin
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by void » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:59 am

Not with Everything, sorry. Not yet at least.

LeoLUG
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 26, 2020 2:28 am

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by LeoLUG » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:04 am

I did it with Total Commander, using Mutli-Rename tool and xPDFSearch plugin.

NotNull
Posts: 2589
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by NotNull » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:45 am

Personally, I would automate that with exiftool:

Assuming your PDF's are all in one folder:

- Download the stand-alone Windows executable exiftool.zip
- extract
- rename exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe
- Copy exiftool.exe to the folder where your PDF's are
- Start CMD
- CD to the folder where your PDF's are
- Run this command

Code: Select all

exiftool.exe -d %Y "-testName<${Title} - $Author.pdf [$CreateDate]" -ext pdf .
That will simulate renaming all PDF's to "Title - Author [Year].pdf"

If all is OK:

Code: Select all

exiftool.exe -d %Y "-fileName<${Title} - $Author.pdf [$CreateDate]" -ext pdf .
( testName was replaced with fileName)

jhon65
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by jhon65 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:19 pm

void wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:59 am
Not with Everything, sorry. Not yet at least.
Thanks, do not worry

jhon65
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by jhon65 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:19 pm

LeoLUG wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:04 am
I did it with Total Commander, using Mutli-Rename tool and xPDFSearch plugin.
Thanks, but it take along time

jhon65
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by jhon65 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:23 pm

NotNull wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:45 am
Personally, I would automate that with exiftool:

Assuming your PDF's are all in one folder:

- Download the stand-alone Windows executable exiftool.zip
- extract
- rename exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe
- Copy exiftool.exe to the folder where your PDF's are
- Start CMD
- CD to the folder where your PDF's are
- Run this command

Code: Select all

exiftool.exe -d %Y "-testName<${Title} - $Author.pdf [$CreateDate]" -ext pdf .
That will simulate renaming all PDF's to "Title - Author [Year].pdf"

If all is OK:

Code: Select all

exiftool.exe -d %Y "-fileName<${Title} - $Author.pdf [$CreateDate]" -ext pdf .
( testName was replaced with fileName)
Thanks so much

I think you have mistake in your code
the code must be

Code: Select all

exiftool.exe -d %Y "-fileName<${Title} - $Author [$CreateDate]".pdf  -ext pdf .
which mean if the [$CreateDate] placed after extension dot, it will change extension of file and the file does not work

By the way, Thank you for guide me

NotNull
Posts: 2589
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by NotNull » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:36 pm

jhon65 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:23 pm
I think you have mistake in your code
You are right! (Should have mentioned that it was untested ... sorry)
Good thing you already figured it out yourself!

jhon65
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Rename PDF files according to its titles and authors (its metadata)?

Post by jhon65 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:10 pm

NotNull wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:36 pm
jhon65 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:23 pm
I think you have mistake in your code
You are right! (Should have mentioned that it was untested ... sorry)
Good thing you already figured it out yourself!
Do not worry my bro
Thank you for your support and guidance

Post Reply