Need help with SDK indexing options

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
ikzr

Need help with SDK indexing options

Post by ikzr »

Hi!

I've read the documentation, but I can't find a way to enable folder size indexing and folder access date indexing through the SDK.

Am I missing something? If not, I expect it should be a command line option, because changing these options in the Everything client will reindex, which can save some time.

Thanks!
NotNull

Re: Need help with SDK indexing options

Post by NotNull »

I am not really familiar with the SDK, but to my best of knowledge:

- The SDK is meant to query files and folders the Everything database, not to reconfigure Everything (database and/or client).
- A reindex is always necessary if you want to index access date too
- A reindex of the database is not needed when you enable Index Folder Size; this requires a "simple" addition of the already indexed file sizes.
ikzr

Post by ikzr »

NotNull wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:27 pm I am not really familiar with the SDK, but to my best of knowledge:

- The SDK is meant to query files and folders the Everything database, not to reconfigure Everything (database and/or client).
- A reindex is always necessary if you want to index access date too
- A reindex of the database is not needed when you enable Index Folder Size; this requires a "simple" addition of the already indexed file sizes.
@NotNull Thanks for your reply.

I'm developing a program based on the Everything SDK, and I want it to be "out of the box", i.e. the user doesn't need to care about any configuration of Everything.

It would be nice if you could add some options or APIs, otherwise I'll have to modify the Everything.ini file to implement it (maybe it works, I haven't tried it yet), which will make me pay attention to more details.

Anyway, thanks again.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your post ikzr,

This is a little outside the scope of the current Everything SDK.

The current SDK is not designed to change Everything settings.

I recommend the following:
  • Create your own Everything folder and copy Everything.exe to it.
  • Configure your own Everything.ini in this folder to your spec.
  • Make sure Everything.exe will have write permission to this folder.
  • Consider launching Everything in your own instance name (unfortunately, the SDK does not support this yet, see the ES source code for an example to work with different instances).
  • For example:
    Everything.exe -instance "my instance"
    -or-
    Set the instance name in your Everything.ini.
I will consider adding an IPC call to enable folder size indexing. This feature is disabled by default as it is expensive to maintain this information.
ikzr

Post by ikzr »

@void Thanks for your reply, I will try your recommendations. :)