Filter or Bookmark for a macro containing synonyms?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
burgundy

Filter or Bookmark for a macro containing synonyms?

Post by burgundy »

I want to create a macro to save typing in all the synonyms of a term I am searching for.

For example, instead of typing
document OR letter OR correspondence OR memo
I need to type only this if I have set up a macro
corr:
Is it better to define the macro as a filter or bookmark?
NotNull

Re: Filter or Bookmark for a macro containing synonyms?

Post by NotNull »

Both Bookmark and Filter should do just fine here.
Advantage of a bookmark is that you can change the sort, for example sort by date instead of your usual sort by Path.

My *personal* favourite would be a Filter. Then I can select Correspondence from the Filter bar (Menu:View > Filters), just like Picture, Audio, etc.
But if you are going to type corr: , that doens't really matter .. :)
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I would ask that void make all filters into bookmarks, and then add [x] Show in Filter List as an option. This might also lead to a [x] Show in Bookmarks Toolbar feature as well. #offtopic #selfaware
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

raccoon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:41 pm I would ask that void make all filters into bookmarks, and then add [x] Show in Filter List as an option. This might also lead to a [x] Show in Bookmarks Toolbar feature as well. #offtopic #selfaware
I'm still struggling to remember the distinction between filters and bookmarks but what you suggest might be a good way to simplify them.

Until then, I wonder if there a case to be made for adding a conversion option in Everything to make a bookmark a filter or vice versa. It would help when experimenting which of the two is the best for a given task.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Mainly, a "filter" is an invisible search term (or bookmark) that remains persistent between queries and is intended to narrow your query based on some broadly defined file/folder attribute or commonality... while a "bookmark" pastes a query directly into your search bar and tends to be an actual query itself, defining very narrow file attributes or substring search terms. Filters == Broad. Bookmarks == Narrow. But that's only a typical case and not a requirement.

I think one way that these two ideas could be unified into one, is if the search bar had a graphically enhanced interface that supported visually wrapping search terms into colorful "bubbles" to denote their distinct individuality, so that filters like "video:" or "folder:" would just become another colorized bubble added within the search bar. A bubble would be like a tab within the search text editbox with little "x"es that can be clicked to delete the bubbles when you hover over them.