System32 Files Not Found

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Phuket

System32 Files Not Found

Post by Phuket »

Maybe I don't understand the latest Windows 10 file structure or maybe I haven't set up Everything correctly, but yesterday I needed to use the old "Notepad.exe" and it wasn't listed when "Start/Programs" or "Start/Apps" was clicked, so I used Everything to search for it.

It wasn't listed. So I Googled the problem and discovered that all I had to do was to type "Notepad" in the "Start Search" box and it would appear, which it did. So I viewed the "Properties" of the Notepad shortcut that appeared and the target was shown as: %windir%\system32\notepad.exe

Sure enough, using Explorer I found the file Notepad.exe in System32.

So why is Notepad.exe not found by Everything in "C:\windows\system32"?

(Oddly, it is found in "D:\windows\system32" because that drive is an old Windows XP installation in my dual booting system.)
Phuket

Re: System32 Files Not Found

Post by Phuket »

After looking through the forum some more, I found this very helpful post:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9056&p=31411&hilit=system32#p31428

So I clicked on "Force Rebuild" and Notepad.exe was correctly listed as present in "C:\Windows\system32".

In conclusion, I would like to know what the "best" settings for "Everything" are. I don't care how slow the "best" settings may make Everything work, as long as the results are 100% accurate.
therube

Post by therube »

What may have happened, well, something along the lines of...

originally it was indexed
a Windows update came through, updated notepad.exe, & notepad.exe, being hardlinked, that one file, ended up in two spots, one being /windows/system32/ & the other being (whatever obscure [to us] location the other part of the link went to)
& at that point, Everything picked up (indexed) 1 (arbitrary) part of the (two, or it could be more) links to that file

So, depending on your needs, you could periodically do a Force Rebuild?
Or only after Windows updates?
Or only after program installs? ...
Phuket

Post by Phuket »

therube wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:03 pm What may have happened, well, something along the lines of...

originally it was indexed
a Windows update came through, updated notepad.exe, & notepad.exe, being hardlinked, that one file, ended up in two spots, one being /windows/system32/ & the other being (whatever obscure [to us] location the other part of the link went to)
& at that point, Everything picked up (indexed) 1 (arbitrary) part of the (two, or it could be more) links to that file

So, depending on your needs, you could periodically do a Force Rebuild?
Or only after Windows updates?
Or only after program installs? ...
Sorry for the late reply - my emails got "lost".

So yes, thanks, what you say could explain it. ;)

I'll write a macro or something to do a Force Rebuild periodically. 8-)