Highlight files from specific/specified folder or path

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Thorne

Highlight files from specific/specified folder or path

Post by Thorne »

Hi,

I am an avid (albeit basic) user of Everything and it's been an enormous blessing in productivity.

Recently I have started generating duplicates of files, one set is essentially the "backup" and the other set is the "for-use".

Example:
I search for file 123-555-456 and the results are as follows
123-555-456.PDF in path A:\General\123
123-555-456.PDF in path A:\Backups\General\123
123-555-456.PNG in path A:\General\123
123-555-456.PNG in path A:\Backups\General\123

I was looking for a way to highlight the rows containing "Backups" in the path in whatever custom row colour. The reason for this is that I do need these to show up when I search for whatever file name - because sometimes files are in Backups but not in the For-Use path. It is then that I copy those files to the For-Use path from the Backups folder.
When both results show up in Everything, sometimes the wrong files are used in haste. Setting these files to read-only is unfortunately not an option.

Is something like this possible, or beyond the scope of Everything?
I tried looking in the area Fonts and Colors in the Options for perhaps custom options and I tried searching the FAQ/Wiki and the forums to no avail. It's just a small thought I had to slightly increase efficiency and reduce error that's turned into enough of an obsession to make a forum post..

Thank you in advance!
NotNull

Re: Highlight files from specific/specified folder or path

Post by NotNull »

Thorne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:35 pm Is something like this possible, or beyond the scope of Everything?
A bit beyond the scope of Everything, but with a little trickery, a workaround is possible:

Level 1: Highlight A:\backups in the path column
- Search for
123-555-456 A:\Backups|

Level 2: Highlight the entire A:\backups\general\123 in the path column
- Search for
123-555-456 regex:"^A:\\Backups\\.*$|"

Level 3: Highlight the entire A:\backups\General\123 in the path column in a different colour
- Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors
- Select Highlighted
- Change the colour to - for example - black on bright yellow
- Search for
Thorne

Post by Thorne »

NotNull wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:15 pm A bit beyond the scope of Everything, but with a little trickery, a workaround is possible:

Level 1: Highlight A:\backups in the path column
- Search for
123-555-456 A:\Backups|

Level 2: Highlight the entire A:\backups\general\123 in the path column
- Search for

Level 3: Highlight the entire A:\backups\General\123 in the path column in a different colour
- Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Fonts and Colors
- Select Highlighted
- Change the colour to - for example - black on bright yellow
- Search for
Thank you, NotNull, for your reply. My apologies for my late response, I tried your solution(s) almost immediately but failed to remember to reply!

I have applied your tricks in my regular workflow and made it a bit more convenient by implementing the search syntax in a running AHK script/macro.
For example, I type 123-555-456 and then press CTRL+Num1, it'll paste
regex:"^A:\\Backups\\.*$|"
behind my search.

Do you think Conditional Formatting for content of rows underneath a column in search results would ever be within the scope of features for Everything?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thorne wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm Do you think Conditional Formatting for content of rows underneath a column in search results would ever be within the scope of features for Everything?
I can't tell you that. Not because it is top secret, but I am not involved in the development of Everything.

However ...
Thorne wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm I have applied your tricks in my regular workflow and made it a bit more convenient by implementing the search syntax in a running AHK script/macro.
That can also be done using existing Everything functionality:
  • Go to Menu:Search > Organize Filters
  • Click the New button
  • Fill the fileds as follows:
    (to enter the keyboard shortcut, just press these keys; Name is arbitrary)
    2020-11-19 16_54_40-Edit Filter.png
    2020-11-19 16_54_40-Edit Filter.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
  • OK to save
  • To show the filter bar on screen: Menu:View > Filters
  • Done
Now you can press CTRL+Num 1 to activate this filter (repeat to switch back to the default Everything filter) and simpluy search for 123-555-456

Extra suggestion:
You can change the highlight colours and font through Menu:Tools > Options > Fonts and Colors