Files with partly same names

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
koolestani

Files with partly same names

Post by koolestani »

Hi
I am facing an issue when searching for files that have partly same names.
Example:
aaa.nameA.cbr
aaa.nameB.cbr

bbb.nameC.cbr
bbb.nameD.cbr

I was expecting namepartdupe: to show me these 4 files in the results, since they do share a part of the filename.
In this example i found dupe: and namepartdupe: both didn't produce the desired result.

Why not just type bbb or aaa in the search query if i'm aware of the common part of the name?
Well actually I'm not aware, this is an example to explain the situation.
I want to search for files that have partly same names, so i can know that they exist. If that makes any sense.

Basically what I'm looking for is what we usually do but reversed.
We provide the keyword for the search, then all files/folders with that keyword appear in the results.
Here i want to use a function that looks for files that have common keywords (or common parts in filename) and display them so i can find them out without the prior knowledge of them having common keywords.

The closest I have come to achieving this is using:

Code: Select all

???.*.cbr
Results sorted by name of course, this lets me know all filenames that have the same prefix, but i still have no clue how to do something like this if the common part of the name lies in the middle.
Also this requires the prior knowledge that the common part is 3 characters long.
Last edited by koolestani on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
void
Developer

Re: Files with partly same names

Post by void »

Currently not possible with Everything 1.4, sorry.

Searching for partial filenames is in development.
The plan is to search for regex:(.*)\..*\.cbr
This will find all files matching the pattern and record the match inside the brackets in 'regex match 1'.
Then you can find duplicates from 'regex match 1'.
koolestani

Re: Files with partly same names

Post by koolestani »

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to the suggestions being incorporated in the update. :)