file list search by size

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
anmac1789

file list search by size

Post by anmac1789 »

Hello, I have a folder with 3,000+ pictures with some of those duplicates across several folders with varying dates & times. I want to know instead of manually typing size:[size in bytes] for each and every file, if a file list can be searched with the size: attribute (not the size on disk: attribute) so it can make the process faster ?? Thank you
therube

Re: file list search by size

Post by therube »

Is this an Everything File List you're talking about (or a general "list of files")?
I'm not following; size, "size attribute", & "size on disk"?
There exists the sizedupe: function.
And then if you sort you "list of files" by size?
(There is also a dupe: function...)
Both dupe functions work, globally.
But if you save a filtered "list of files" as a File List, you can then Open that File List & filter it further to get you to a better place.

That said, not sure what you're trying to do?
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

therube wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:11 pm Is this an Everything File List you're talking about (or a general "list of files")?
I'm not following; size, "size attribute", & "size on disk"?
There exists the sizedupe: function.
And then if you sort you "list of files" by size?
(There is also a dupe: function...)
Both dupe functions work, globally.
But if you save a filtered "list of files" as a File List, you can then Open that File List & filter it further to get you to a better place.

That said, not sure what you're trying to do?
Well basically, I want to automate size:(file size in bytes) in the search bar for each file by making a filelist which will search each file by file size, not filename because I have duplicate files with a different filename but the same size.
Ice-Man

Post by Ice-Man »

Its hard to understand but maybe you can try pic:sizedupe:size:100kb-200kb
Then change the sizes to your automatic bytes??
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

well no, im not trying to filter using a size interval because that's going to give me files not in the file list also. I'm trying to find a subsitute for size:byte1|size:byte2|size:byte3 if this can be written easier and faster rather than typing out this manually.
Ice-Man

Post by Ice-Man »

Sorry, I dont know what you mean about "files not in the file list"?
My version cant use size:byte, because the "b" in byte is invalid and gets treated like 0, showing zero byte files.
So I use things like size:1-3 or pic:sizedupe:size:1-3
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

I think that I am confusing what file list does. I have added like 100 pictures in a file list.efu file. How can I search for those specific files through .efu file list ?
Ice-Man

Post by Ice-Man »

I think you open them with menu: File - Open File List
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

If I understand correctly, you want to search for pictures in a folder (including sub-folders) and for each of those files you want to check if there is another picture in that folderstrucrture with the same size.
If that is the case, show that picture and the other one(s) with the same size?

In that case, try this:
  • In Everything, search for
    "C:\your folder" pic:
  • Export the results as an EFU Everything File List (Menu:File > Export )
  • Open this filelist (Menu:File > Open File List )
  • search for
    sizedupe:
  • Sort your results by size (Menu:View > Sort By > Size)
  • Enable the preview window (Menu:View > Preview
  • Use the cursor keys to browse through you pictures
As your pictures are sorted by size, duplicates will be shown together and can easily be managed

When done, close the File List to return to your regular Everything (Menu:File > Close File List )
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

NotNull wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:05 pm If I understand correctly, you want to search for pictures in a folder (including sub-folders) and for each of those files you want to check if there is another picture in that folderstrucrture with the same size.
If that is the case, show that picture and the other one(s) with the same size?

In that case, try this:
  • In Everything, search for
    "C:\your folder" pic:
  • Export the results as an EFU Everything File List (Menu:File > Export )
  • Open this filelist (Menu:File > Open File List )
  • search for
    sizedupe:
  • Sort your results by size (Menu:View > Sort By > Size)
  • Enable the preview window (Menu:View > Preview
  • Use the cursor keys to browse through you pictures
As your pictures are sorted by size, duplicates will be shown together and can easily be managed

When done, close the File List to return to your regular Everything (Menu:File > Close File List )
that's kind of what I want to do...except.

example...suppose that i have 2,000 pictures inside this folder C:\pics from hard drive. I want everything to look for duplicate files with the exact file size in other folders in the entire C drive. This way, I want to see where the duplicates are located and IF they actually are pictorially duplicates. It could be that I have pictures from whatsapp, facebook, instagram or other social media and their filenames are different but pictorally they are duplicates. My aim is to find, the 1st original picture with the earliest date & time stamp. I hope that makes sense.
Ice-Man

Post by Ice-Man »

I think I finally understand. Anmac1789 created a FileList.efu, and wants to search for its duplicates only.

So if his FileList.efu was:
Filename,Size,Date Modified,Date Created,Attributes
"C:\Path\File1.jpg",1730,132297338653314737,132296324539500979,32
"C:\Path\File2.jpg",2110,132295571688625464,132295571039718323,32
"C:\Path\File3.jpg",2230,132295571688625464,132295571039718323,32

He wants to create a search like sizedupe: size:1730|size:2110|size:2230

The only thing I can think of is to copy the FileList.efu, and then use something like Notepad++ to edit it, but with so many files in the .efu, I dont know how many different size:'s that we are allowed to put into the search??
For example, NotePad++ has regex so you can replace-all .*?,(\d+),.*\r\n with size:\1| to get size:1730|size:2110|size:2230
But Im really thinking there must be an easier way?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

anmac1789 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:20 pm example...suppose that i have 2,000 pictures inside this folder C:\pics from hard drive. I want everything to look for duplicate files with the exact file size in other folders in the entire C drive. This way, I want to see where the duplicates are located and IF they actually are pictorially duplicates. It could be that I have pictures from whatsapp, facebook, instagram or other social media and their filenames are different but pictorally they are duplicates. My aim is to find, the 1st original picture with the earliest date & time stamp. I hope that makes sense.
I don't think anyone would have guessed this after your first post :)

Should be doable. What *exactly* should be shown as a result:
- the picture in c:\path and if there are other pictures with the same size, show them too
- the picture in c:\path will not be shown if there are no other pictures with the same size
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

yes thats the result i am looking for. Any suggestions for this ?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

anmac1789 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 am yes thats the result i am looking for.
This was an OR question.
You are answering a "Would you like coffee or would you like tea?" question with "Yes, I am thirsty" ...
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

While this might be achievable with Everything as a pretzel, might I suggest using an alternative app which is free of cost to use, AllDup.
AllDup finds duplicate files.

You can search by a combination of file names, attribute and byte content (full, front part, end part) and exclude metadata for media types. More importantly, the user may search on multiple roots and use one of them as reference.

So you may search for dupes in root a, b, and c, only by byte content, compare starting at the end of the file (to make quicker), then with the results select and delete duplicates of files that are in root-c. The end result is that files in root c are unique, while other dupes are untouched.