Sort Not Working

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
CityguyUSA

Sort Not Working

Post by CityguyUSA »

Snap 2020-08-22 at 19.19.22.jpg
Snap 2020-08-22 at 19.19.22.jpg (119.06 KiB) Viewed 10749 times
It's self explanatory. Just doesn't work.
NotNull

Re: Sort Not Working

Post by NotNull »

Folders and files are sorted separately (folders first).
Reason for that is that internally those are in separate databases.
CityguyUSA

Post by CityguyUSA »

I'm only sorting on the folders column so it shouldn't matter what anything else is doing.

How soon can this be repaired? I've gone without it longer than I care to and it's something I attempt to use quite regularly.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I think you misunderstood what I wrote: Internally files and folders are in separate databases and those cannot be mixed without Everything getting slow and using quite a bit of CPU.

At least, that is how it is in the current 1.4 version of Everything. It is on the to do list for the next major vesion of Everything - version 1.5 - to reorganize the internal database structure so that files and folders can be in the same internal database. And thus be sorted together.

void is working *very* hard (full time!) on this next major version, but a release date is unknown at this moment.

If you want to help void to spend time on Everything, consider a donation.
therube

Post by therube »

So everything shown in your screenshot are Folders?
And you are sorted by Path.

That being the case, they certainly should be listed (sorted) correctly - but they are not.

Maybe some corruption with your .db.

If you do a Force Rebuild, do things then work correctly,
Tools | Options | Indexes -> Force Rebuild
?
CityguyUSA

Post by CityguyUSA »

No fix, sill same problem.

Yeah you're correct they should be sorted.
CityguyUSA

Post by CityguyUSA »

NotNull wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:02 pm I think you misunderstood what I wrote: Internally files and folders are in separate databases and those cannot be mixed without Everything getting slow and using quite a bit of CPU.

At least, that is how it is in the current 1.4 version of Everything. It is on the to do list for the next major vesion of Everything - version 1.5 - to reorganize the internal database structure so that files and folders can be in the same internal database. And thus be sorted together.

void is working *very* hard (full time!) on this next major version, but a release date is unknown at this moment.

If you want to help void to spend time on Everything, consider a donation.
I looks like it's been 7 years since anything has gotten attention. Your asking for a lot of faith to get a donation. Regardless you need some type of contract with your users telling them what they'll get and over what period of time. I'd like to think donations would work but since you don't show how much your getting through donations we have no way of evaluating what we're getting for our donations. Donations are nice because your covering for people that may not have the money but at the same time you can't have 10 people paying for thousands so some statics on average donation per user would be nice to see as well.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

CityguyUSA wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:57 am I looks like it's been 7 years since anything has gotten attention. Your asking for a lot of faith to get a donation. Regardless you need some type of contract with your users telling them what they'll get and over what period of time. I'd like to think donations would work but since you don't show how much your getting through donations we have no way of evaluating what we're getting for our donations. Donations are nice because your covering for people that may not have the money but at the same time you can't have 10 people paying for thousands so some statics on average donation per user would be nice to see as well.
That is a misunderstanding. I am not the developer of Everything. Nor am I a beneficiary of any donation.
I am just one of the people here that help answering forum questions.

That aside: I have quite a different point of view regarding donations.
A donation doesn't make you a shareholder / member of the board of directors. When I do my yearly Wikipedia donation, I don't ask what exactly I get in return and if they spend it in the most economical way. I donate because I don't want it to disappear due to a lack of funding. You can also donate because you like the program or just use it a lot. Or just want to say thanks to the developer. Or a program saves you a lot of time/money or you want to stimulate the developer to keep working on it or ...

In the case of Everything, there is another reason to donate (copied from another forum post):
@void is a *very* good developer. I'm not one myself, but quite often I work with developers form all over the world (as I work for companies and organizations you hear from on an almost daily basis in the Netherlands and they tend to outsource their development).
I can tell you: @void is one of the better ones.

Whenever there is an issue (not necessarily a bug) with Everything, it gets fixed fast, very fast.
Since the first post in this thread in 2013 there were somewhere between 500 an 1000 new releases.

But these are updates and fixes for the existing feature-set.
New features are typically intriduced in major updates. The next major update will be version 1.5 .
This suggestion is not a fix, but a new feature, so you will have to wait for a major release.
Just like anyone else that suggests a new feature (and that includes me too).

@void is currently working full-time on that major release (and I suspect that this is well beyond full-time ..)
Meaning that his sole source of income at this moment comes from donations.
If that is not enough to pay the bills, chances are that might slow down or even stop further development of Everything to find another source of income.
So yes, donations have EVERYTHING to do with it!

Long story short: @void is working very hard on Everything, even if you don't see it (but the "regulars" here certainly do).

To get back on topic:
In the screenshot you posted, the content of the Path column was shown, but the content of the Name column wasn't. So we can't tell if those were folders or files or both of them.
If you add folder: to your search query, does the path column still look like it is sorted wrong?
CityguyUSA

Re: Sort Still Not Working

Post by CityguyUSA »

So here we are almost 18 months down the toilet and sort still not working. My first example on the original post was showing that the path wasn't sorting now I'm showing that neither is the date. How useful is this if you can never depend on the sort? I used a folder as you asked.

The first image is the top of the list.
Snap 2022-03-19 at 00.06.30.jpg
Snap 2022-03-19 at 00.06.30.jpg (143 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
The second is almost at the bottom where the sort goes wrong.
Snap 2022-03-18 at 23.53.10.jpg
Snap 2022-03-18 at 23.53.10.jpg (154.31 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
Notice where the slider is positioned. It's almost at the bottom of what is thousands of files all are in order by date descending until maybe the last 400. The blue line is actually the first point where the sort seems to start over.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Those new files, that were modified 30 seconds ago, appear at the bottom of the list. Until you sort again.

You can turn off monitoring to prevent file changes from showing up.

If you are interested in the current development of Everything, you can experiment with version 1.5 which works very differently and fixes a lot of design flaws. Concerns addressing how 1.4 behaves are now obsolete.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.4 will sort files first, then folders.
These are folders (with a file icon) modified in 2022.
Have you changed your folder icon to a file icon?

If you would like to mix file and folder results together, please try Everything 1.5.

To mix files and folders together:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the View menu, under the Sort by submenu, check Mix files and folders.