Find files with the exact same filename (extensions may differ)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
koolestani

Find files with the exact same filename (extensions may differ)

Post by koolestani »

Hi
As the subject says I'd like to find files with the exact filename in a specified location.
Example 1: If a folder has videos with subtitles that have same name as the video, the results will show both the .mkv and .srt files.
Example 2: If a folder has videos with subtitles and posters with same name as the video, the results will show .jpg .mkv and .srt files.

The inverse of this information will let us know which videos are missing subtitles and/or posters.

I know if we search for something, any file with any extension that has that name gets displayed BUT I do not want to supply individual filenames to everything because that makes this process extremely manual.
What i am asking for is that we let everything know that the intention is to list all files that have same filenames to be listed in results.
If a folder contains these files:

Code: Select all

nameA.jpg
nameA.mkv

nameB.mkv
nameB.srt

nameC.mkv

nameD.jpg
Then the result should display:

nameA.jpg
nameA.mkv
nameB.mkv
nameB.srt
Of course combining this with ! operator will truly let us the know about the incomplete sets of nameC and nameD

I hope i am able to explain my situation.
I understand this might be a strenuous request to process, since the names of all files will have to collected then matched against every other filename.
Is something like this achievable?
Thank you
NotNull

Re: Find files with the exact same filename (extensions may differ)

Post by NotNull »

You could try something similar to:

X:\movies  file: namepartdupe: 
But there are some restrictions:
- namepartdupe: works on all files in Everything's database, not only on the folder(s) you specified.
So if there is a X:\movies\NameA.mkv and also a C:\Windows\NameA.txt, NameA.mkv will still be reported.

Also: Take a look at the Search Syntax for more inspiration (or Menu:Help > Search Syntax)
koolestani

Post by koolestani »

Man I'm really filled up with a lot of ideas that I'm confident will improve search everything. I haven't even pondered over them in extreme detail, but i know that those ideas are currently missing and people other than me must be wanting them too.
Please let me know the appropriate communication route for the same.

Regarding this problem, can we expect an update in which we can narrow down the results for duplicate name thing?
Also a major part of the problem is already solved, i tried using

!namepartdupe:
with your code snippet and it worked as expected, showing only unique filenames as results.

Thank you :)
koolestani

Post by koolestani »

i just tried your suggestion and it actually serves me pretty well. It took me a while to realize how it really works, the specified location actually helps to a great extent, it restricts everything to search for identical names from that location

this is what i understood
it matches filenames from the specified location against all filenames in every possible location.
if a file has identically named files ANYWHERE (literally all locations accessible to search everything) it will be displayed.
if the identically named files are in the specified location as well they will be displayed in the results too.
if the identically named files are NOT in the specified location they will not be displayed in the results.

i had to phrase that extremely carefully, still not sure if its the best way to explain this stuff.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

koolestani wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:17 pm i had to phrase that extremely carefully, still not sure if its the best way to explain this stuff.
Don't know if it is the best way, but it *is* correct :)

An alternative, that might work well in your case:
  • In Everything , search for "C:\your folder\"
  • Exprort the results as an EFU file (Menu:File > Export )
  • Open this EFU file (Menu:File > Open File List.. )
  • Search for namepartdupe:
This will eliminate all the duplicats that are NOT in C:\your folder\
  • Whne done, return to your regular Everything by closing the file list (Menu:File > Close File List)
koolestani

Post by koolestani »

I forgot about the efu thing, that's good thinking.
Thanks again :)