PSD picture files show no preview (last reply from 2009)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Lasienna

PSD picture files show no preview (last reply from 2009)

Post by Lasienna »

Hello, I love your program, but I ran into a problem.

Problem

PSD picture files show no preview (I don't mean the thumbnails)

Solutions

I was looking for an answer here in the forum, but the last one dated from 2009. Yet I did what was given as an answer (download newest 64 bit version), this changed nothing.

Any way how I can see the preview of Adobe PSD files?
horst.epp

Re: PSD picture files show no preview (last reply from 2009)

Post by horst.epp »

Do you have preview of PSD files in Explorer ?
If not there will be none in Everything of course.

If you just want to have some way to view PSD files without Photoshop
the easiest free way is using IrfanView.
Lasienna

Post by Lasienna »

Hello,

this is unfortunately not helpful, that's why I mentioned "I don't mean the thumbnails". Thumbnails of Adobe files are not supported anymore in Windows 10 (at least for now). I am asking about the BIG preview you get with ALT+P within "everything". This preview does not work for PSD files. I do not want to use 3rd programs, as I already use everything as a third program.

But thank you for your quick reply!
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Lasienna wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm Hello,

this is unfortunately not helpful, that's why I mentioned "I don't mean the thumbnails". Thumbnails of Adobe files are not supported anymore in Windows 10 (at least for now). I am asking about the BIG preview you get with ALT+P within "everything". This preview does not work for PSD files. I do not want to use 3rd programs, as I already use everything as a third program.

But thank you for your quick reply!
I don't agree, the question is helpful.
If you don't have Preview for psd files in Explorer
you can't have them in Everything.
Everything itself doesn't provide any Preview.
So you have to install something which provides preview in Windows.
Lasienna

Post by Lasienna »

Be careful, don't mix "preview" with "thumbnail".

1. The question would be helpful, if the code would not scan / read the files itself and even the large, high resolution previews would use the tiny thumbnail data (max 96 x 96 pixels) provided by windows. So, yes "everything" provides the preview itself (or at least does not get the data from thumbnails provided by windows or 3rd party software). Else you would not be able to scale / zoom into the preview above 96 pixels.

2. Since I have xnview installed and it is also able to produce previews of PSD files (and thumbnails based on their own scanning of the files), it is clear that an installation of irfanview would most likely also not help.

3. But maybe I am wrong, maybe you have "irfanview" installed and because of that you can see indeed the PSD previews in "everything", then I would stand corrected. Do you have it installed, can you see previews (not! the thumbnails) of PSD files in "everything"?

Best regards.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Lasienna wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 am
Be careful, don't mix "preview" with "thumbnail".

1. The question would be helpful, if the code would not scan / read the files itself and even the large, high resolution previews would use the tiny thumbnail data (max 96 x 96 pixels) provided by windows. So, yes "everything" provides the preview itself (or at least does not get the data from thumbnails provided by windows or 3rd party software). Else you would not be able to scale / zoom into the preview above 96 pixels.

2. Since I have xnview installed and it is also able to produce previews of PSD files (and thumbnails based on their own scanning of the files), it is clear that an installation of irfanview would most likely also not help.

3. But maybe I am wrong, maybe you have "irfanview" installed and because of that you can see indeed the PSD previews in "everything", then I would stand corrected. Do you have it installed, can you see previews (not! the thumbnails) of PSD files in "everything"?

Best regards.
I know that you mean the preview and not thumbnails.
I don't have installed Irfanview but use it as a plugin in Total Commander.
So I have previews and thumbnails of PSDs in Total Commander but not in Explorer or Everything.
As I have the full Everything integration in Total Commander there is no problem for me.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@horst.epp is right:

Everything uses the preview functionality of Windows. You can toggle the preview pane (not thumbnail) in Windows File Explorer using the keyboard shortcut ALT + P or Menu:View > Preview pane.
If your preview isn't shown there, it will not be shown in Everything either.

Out of the box, Windows does not include a preview handler or .PSD files. You will need a third applicaion installed that offers that.