wrong folder names

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
giladh

wrong folder names

Post by giladh »

Everything 1.4.1.969 (x64) on Windows 10

Everything show (and search) folders with wrong names

For example,I have a 'old_Favorites' folder in my desktop , but Everything tresat it as it name 'Favorites'

Please note that the folddername was indeed originally 'Favorites' and wass renamed to 'old_Favorites', but Everything doesn't recognised it.

rebuild the index didn't help
therube

Re: wrong folder names

Post by therube »

Oh, just guessing...

"Favorites" is a "special" folder.

While you may have "renamed" it to "old_Favorites", that "rename" only occurred in a "virtual" manner, & the (actual) name, on disk, is still in fact, Favorites (though Windows has virtualized it as "old_Favorites"). [Was that confusing ;-).]

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/special_folders_view.html
giladh

Post by giladh »

It is very strange

The name of the folders as I see them on my Windows 10 desktop are 'old_favorites' and 'old_desktop'

But if I open the command prompt and execute a 'dir' command their names are 'favorites' and 'desktop'
froggie

Post by froggie »

The names in the file system (NTFS) are 'favorites' and 'desktop' - both Everything and the dir command will show you that.

There is a hidden system file called "desktop.ini" in 'desktop" (and many other places) that contains information that Windows will use to display the file.
Desktop.ini can be used to change the name that Windows will display, the icon of the file and the infotip, among other things