Corrupt database

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
kumar

Corrupt database

Post by kumar »

Just now got an error saying "everything database is corrupt. Restart everything". When I restarted everything window was blank and it started indexing my drive. Why did this happen and how o prevent it in future? Possibly a bug.

On a side note, it is very frustrating that whenever I restart my computer, everything uses 100% disk usage and for 10 to 15 minutes i literally cannot do anything until everything is done with whatever it was doing. Is there a way for developers to optimize this behavior? When computer is restarted does everything reindex entire disk again? Can it not just do incremental reindexing or do reindexing in a manner such that it does not use 100% disk usage? How about delaying reindexing for some time after computer restart?
void
Developer

Re: Corrupt database

Post by void »

Thank you for your post.

I'm looking into the issue.
database always corrupt

In Everything, a corrupt database means a file entry is currently not sorted correctly.

Database corruption can occur when multiple files with the same name are found.
It is also possible the database is not being written to disk correctly on system shutdown (caches not flushed).

Please try the following:

Please make sure database compression is disabled:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab.
  • Uncheck Compress database.
  • Click OK.
Please check your drive for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.
On a side note, it is very frustrating that whenever I restart my computer, everything uses 100% disk usage and for 10 to 15 minutes i literally cannot do anything until everything is done with whatever it was doing. Is there a way for developers to optimize this behavior?
Everything might be trying to update from the USN Journal. Depending on the number of changes this can take a few seconds to a few minutes.
This can use a lot of CPU if there are many folder renames.
For the best performance, please keep Everything running in the background, or use NTFS indexing only with the -no-db command line option.
When computer is restarted does everything reindex entire disk again? Can it not just do incremental reindexing or do reindexing in a manner such that it does not use 100% disk usage? How about delaying reindexing for some time after computer restart?
Everything should load the database from disk into memory and update any recent changes.
This should be instant. Windows updates can make many file system changes, causing Everything to take longer to update.

Updating in the background, allowing you to search immediately after launching Everything is currently in development.
void
Developer

Re: Corrupt database

Post by void »

Please see database always corrupt for a possible solution.