Question about adding folders

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
vsub

Question about adding folders

Post by vsub »

By using the "Folders" option in indexes
If you connect a drive and add it my using "Folders",what will happen if you connect another drive and it just happens that it is assigned to the same drive letter
raccoon

Re: Question about adding folders

Post by raccoon »

Then it also happens to get indexed during the next rebuild. Everything doesn't track devices by unique identifier, just volume letter that you specify.

I would personally like to see the whole Folder Indexes feature revisited and revamped, to allow for automatic indexing of all new devices, and indexes based on volume serial number, not just arbitrary and ever-changing drive letter.

Use the Force Rebuild or Rescan Now features often.
therube

Post by therube »

You can assign specific drive letters to specific devices (removable or not).
And assuming you assign "carefully", they can (basically) remain static.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

vsub wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:54 am By using the "Folders" option in indexes
If you connect a drive and add it my using "Folders",what will happen if you connect another drive and it just happens that it is assigned to the same drive letter
It will get overwritten.
therube wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:19 pm You can assign specific drive letters to specific devices (removable or not).
And assuming you assign "carefully", they can (basically) remain static.
"There's (even) an app for that" :) : USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows
raccoon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:39 pm I would personally like to see the whole Folder Indexes feature revisited and revamped, to allow for automatic indexing of all new devices, and indexes based on volume serial number, not just arbitrary and ever-changing drive letter.
That might be harder than you think. Folder indexing can be used for a lot of different filesystems, like multiple folders on one SD-card. a network folder, a virtual CD, an FTP connection, a WebDAV connection, a RAM disk etc.