Possible to search for double extensions? Also what does dupe: sizedupe: do?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Geoff741

Possible to search for double extensions? Also what does dupe: sizedupe: do?

Post by Geoff741 »

ive got a lot of files that are named things like picture.gif.jpg etc

I've made a whole bunch of custom searches for every combo i can think of but surely theres a way to just search for double extensions?

i tried *.???.* and *.*.* but it wont detect them

Additionally what do dupe: and sizedupe: do anyways?

I search c:/downloads/pictures dupe: sizedupe: and it will bring up a whole bunch of images but none of them are duplicates and 90% aren't even the same size as any other image so i dunno what they do
therube

Re: Possible to search for double extensions? Also what does dupe: sizedupe: do?

Post by therube »

> picture.gif.jpg

.jpg is the extension

> this.is.a.picture.fig.newtowns.fig.png

> .png is the extension

You can simply search for .gif.jpg or .fig.png & the names will be found.
(More correctly, the string .gif.jpg or .fig.png are found, not "extensions" per sey.)
Also, ext:gif.jpg or ext:fig.png will also find the names.
(That can be expanded, so, ext:newtons.fig.png. Kind of odd, at that, but it works.)

dupe: & sizedupe: work - globally.

dupe: will find files with the same filename, so c:\tmp\picture.jpeg & c:\doc\picture.jpeg, but not c:\tmp\picture.jpg.
sizedupe: will find files with the same size, so agent.ini 2160 bytes & groups.idx 2160 bytes.

dupe: sizedupe: will display files that have both the same name & the same size.
so with, dupe: sizedupe: size:2160, that can be:
C:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\$$_speech_engines_sr_en-us_3201cbb7cd315cd0.cdf-ms 2160 bytes
E:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\$$_speech_engines_sr_en-us_3201cbb7cd315cd0.cdf-ms 2160 bytes (same names, happens to be same size too)

H:\TMPS\1800\EMF\AG\AGENT.INI 2160 bytes - only a single file is displayed
This is because in this case it is dup'ing (globally) on dupe:, the name, but then (additionally) filtered by size:2160 of which there is only one file that meets the criteria. There are other AGENT.INI (so dupe: is fulfilled, & there are other size:2160 files [not named AGENT.INI], so sizedupe: is fulfilled) but there are files that meet BOTH the dupe: (name) AGENT.INI & the sizedupe: (size) AGENT.INI. (And further filtered by the size being specified as 2160 bytes.) So in this case, AGENT.INI is displayed, does meet the criteria, but you are filtering in a manner that its' duplicates (either by name or size or specified size) cause no second instance of AGENT.INI to display.
Geoff741

Re: Possible to search for double extensions? Also what does dupe: sizedupe: do?

Post by Geoff741 »

> picture.gif.jpg

.jpg is the extension

> this.is.a.picture.fig.newtowns.fig.png

> .png is the extension

You can simply search for .gif.jpg or .fig.png & the names will be found.

thats pretty much what I've been doing, but I was hoping there was an easier way. I have about 30 bookmarks trying to detect the various double extensions I encounter but It would be really helpful if I could have it bring back any results that were dot letter letter letter extension (such as jpg.gif or avi.mp4)

Thank you for your help
froggie

Post by froggie »

As a start try this as a search (with regex under search on the menu NOT checked)
regex:"\.\w\w\w\.\w\w\w$"
Geoff741

Post by Geoff741 »

Just looked. It's already unchecked
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

Geoff741 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 pm Just looked. It's already unchecked
and... did you try that regex?
try this too
regex:"\.\D\D\D\D?\.\D\D\D\D?$". Sorry about that. It ignores digits, so it wont find mp3 or mp4 lol
Geoff741

Post by Geoff741 »

Must have missed that part. Just tried it now, it looks like this is what I want. Thank you