Can't Access Or See My Cellphone

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Jawpack

Can't Access Or See My Cellphone

Post by Jawpack »

Everything doesn't detect files on my cellphone when it's plugged into my PC. I cannot see my cellphone even when I use Advanced Search. I can see and access it via Windows. If it matters, I have Win10. Is there a setting that will allow my cellphone to be visible in Everything?
NotNull

Re: Can't Access Or See My Cellphone

Post by NotNull »

First of all: You should mention what operating system your phone uses (Android, ios, BlackberryOS, Windows) and what version.
And also: your Everything version (including 32- or 64-bit)
Now we have nothing to go on ....

In general:
Your phone files are accessible in Windows as a virtual folder. The current version of Everything doesn't support that (yet; it is on the to do list).
You can't see these files and folders in CMD either. That is a good check: If you can see them in CMD, Everything can see the too.

Workaround for Android: see here (the good bits are at the end of that long thread)
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

I'm using Everything Version 1.4.1.948 (x64), Win10, Android Samsung Note 9.

I'll look over the link you posted. From a cursory look, it looks a bit confusing but I'll see if I can ferret through it.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

NotNull,
NotNull wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 pm
In general:
Your phone files are accessible in Windows as a virtual folder. The current version of Everything doesn't support that (yet; it is on the to do list).
You can't see these files and folders in CMD either. That is a good check: If you can see them in CMD, Everything can see the too.

Workaround for Android: see here (the good bits are at the end of that long thread)

I've been busy the last couple days with a home repair project. I tried, but I couldn't understand what's in the link. It's a bit above my understanding in that field of computer technology.

Is it possible for you to break it down so a totally computer illiterate person (which I'm not) can understand?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

1. Install some FTP Server from the Play Store on your Android device
  2. Configure this FTP Server
  3. Take note of (IP) addres and port number you used
  4. Download ftpuse (see other thread) on your Windows machine
  5. Run

Code: Select all

ftpuse.exe X: <IP-adress Android device> /PORT:<port address>

( example: ftpuse.exe S: 192.168.1.9 /PORT:2211 )
  6. In Everything add S:\ under Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Fodlers
  7. Done
If that still doesn\t get you running, tell at which step it failed and describe (in detail) what you did at this step.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Finally finished the home project. Now I can get back to normal.

I'm stuck. I installed the requested programs. I ran into a problem when I got to the part with the code and "In Everything add S:\ under Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders"

Where am I supposed to add that ftpuse.exe X: <IP-adress Android device> /PORT:<port address> code?

Don't see a way to add S:\ into Everything. It opens Windows Explorer and Everything still doesn't detect my cell phone.
therube

Post by therube »

Where am I supposed to add that ftpuse.exe X: <IP-adress Android device> /PORT:<port address> code?
(Without looking) sounds like ftpuse.exe is run from a command prompt (presumably from within whatever directory ftpuse.exe is locate).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Jawpack wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm Where am I supposed to add that ftpuse.exe X: <IP-adress Android device> /PORT:<port address> code?
  • In File Explorer, browse to the folder where your ftpuse.exe is
  • Enter
    CMD
    in the address bar and press ENTER
  • Type ftpuse.exe S: <IP-adress Android device> /PORT:<port address> and press ENTER
    You need to replace <IP-adress Android device> and <port address> with teh actual IP-address and portnumber
  • In Everything, go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders
  • Add S:\
  • Press OK button
ivellios1988

Post by ivellios1988 »

Many thanks to @NotNull for directing me to this post.

After successful mapping my FTP location as a drive, I encountered some issues. I hope somebody will be able to help me.

Using FTPUSE, I mapped an sd card in my smartphone. Problem is that I have a lot of files and folders that contain Polish characters which causes some issues with encoding, for example "Sęktas" is shown as "SÄ™ktas". Unfortunately, it seems that the documentation for FTPUSE doesn't say anything about problems with encoding :(

Another problem is that, some time after I started indexing my sd card in Everything, the connection made with FTPUSE apparently died - mapped sd card disappeared from My Computer. Could it be caused by a huge number of files on my sd card?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Probably a limitation in FTPUSE I just used it because I had it already on my system, but any other similar progrm would do.

EDIT:
BackupChain DriveMaker looks promising (not tested, though)

ivellios1988 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:39 pm Another problem is that, some time after I started indexing my sd card in Everything, the connection made with FTPUSE apparently died - mapped sd card disappeared from My Computer. Could it be caused by a huge number of files on my sd card?
First guess: a timeout on the FTP Server. FTP Servers typically will close a connection if there is no activity for some time.