Using wildcards in content search?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Post Reply
PeterPanino
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Using wildcards in content search?

Post by PeterPanino » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Why I cannot use wildcards in my content search, for example:

Code: Select all

*.pas C:\delphi\ dm:last2years content:T*Create
This would be supposed to find in *.pas files:

Code: Select all

TformBrowsers.Create
Or does this require a special setting?

therube
Posts: 2465
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by therube » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 pm

content: does not accept wildcards

NotNull
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by NotNull » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm

... unless ...

you use regulr expressions:

Code: Select all

*.pas    C:\delphi\   dm:last2years    regex:content:"t.*create"
Notes:
- Everything uses case-insensitive matching
- you can omit the ""; I use them for clarity.

PeterPanino
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by PeterPanino » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:00 pm

NotNull wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm
... unless ...

you use regulr expressions:

Code: Select all

*.pas    C:\delphi\   dm:last2years    regex:content:"t.*create"
Notes:
- Everything uses case-insensitive matching
- you can omit the ""; I use them for clarity.
Thanks, that worked. It would be much better if there was a separate regex-search-content edit-field so we wouldn't have to write "regex:content:" each time we have to search content. That would be very useful!

BTW, does anybody know how to increase the font in the search field?

NotNull
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by NotNull » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 pm

PeterPanino wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:00 pm
BTW, does anybody know how to increase the font in the search field?
When Everything is not running, you can change this setting in Everything.ini:

Code: Select all

search_edit_font_size=14
(14 is just an example; I use 15. Partly because it is better readable when posting screenshots here; partly because complex regular expressions are easier to read with a larger font size)

Everything.ini can be found in %APPDATA%\Everything or else in the folder where your Everything.exe is.

PeterPanino
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by PeterPanino » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:23 pm

NotNull wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 pm
PeterPanino wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:00 pm
BTW, does anybody know how to increase the font in the search field?
When Everything is not running, you can change this setting in Everything.ini:

Code: Select all

search_edit_font_size=14
(14 is just an example; I use 15. Partly because it is better readable when posting screenshots here; partly because complex regular expressions are easier to read with a larger font size)

Everything.ini can be found in %APPDATA%\Everything or else in the folder where your Everything.exe is.
Thank you very much!

therube
Posts: 2465
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by therube » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:47 pm

(I did try that, before.
But I didn't really think it through.

As I already had, content:int*int written out, I appended regex: to the content:, so content:regex: (which does not work), rather then prefixing it, regex:content: (which does work).)

NotNull
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by NotNull » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 pm

I had a little help from this thread (had it bookmarked (if that is a valid verb?))

void
Site Admin
Posts: 5245
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by void » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 am

To enable wildcards with the content: search function please try the wildcards: search modifier:
*.pas C:\delphi\ dm:last2years wildcards:content:*T*Create*

-Note: wildcards match the entire content, surround your search with * and *, or try searching for:

*.pas C:\delphi\ dm:last2years noexact:wildcards:content:T*Create

Everything disables wildcards by default when using the content: search function because usually the user is trying to find a literal *.

To create a filter to simplify this for future searches:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: Wildcard Content
  • Change the Search to: noexact:wildcards:content:search:
  • Change the Macro to: wildcontent<search>
Now when you search for wildcontent:T*Create it is replaced with noexact:wildcards:content:T*Create

froggie
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by froggie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 pm

@void
Isn't "noexact" the same as "nowfn" and is the default? Why would you need to specify it in the macro, other than clarity in the example?

void
Site Admin
Posts: 5245
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by void » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:20 pm

noexact: is the same as nowfn: (nowholefilename:)

The setting Tools -> Options -> Search -> Match whole filename when using wildcards controls the default setting when wildcards are used (even when applied to the content: search).

Future versions of Everything will not use the "Match whole filename when using wildcards" setting when the wildcards: search modifier is specified, the default will be match anywhere in the content and you will need to specify the exact: search modifier to match the entire content.

NotNull
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Using wildcards in content search?

Post by NotNull » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:13 am

void wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 am
To enable wildcards with the content: search function please try the wildcards: search modifier:
*.pas C:\delphi\ dm:last2years wildcards:content:*T*Create*
:shock: And just when you start to think that you are getting some grip on all the Everything possibilities, a new one pops up around the corner! How deep *is* this rabbithole? :)

Post Reply