How could one show respectively copy the file names (with extensisons) of a special folders?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

How could one show respectively copy the file names (with extensisons) of a special folders?

Post by Biff »

How could one show respectively copy (to the clip board / a txt file) the file names (with extensisons) of a special folders?

E.g. copy all file names in folder "xyz".
NotNull

Re: How could one show respectively copy the file names (with extensisons) of a special folders?

Post by NotNull »

Depends on how you define filenames in this case.

c:\xyz.file.txt?
file.txt?

Should it include folders too?
Should it also report files in subdirectories?
Biff

Re: How could one show respectively copy the file names (with extensisons) of a special folders?

Post by Biff »

Depends on how you define filenames in this case.
Oops, didn't know there are more than one definitions.
file.txt?
Yes, like this, without path, drive letter, etc.
Should it include folders too?
No, no, just the file names.
Should it also report files in subdirectories?
No, no, just the files in that folder (but it would not matter as there are nor sub folders in).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Then this should do it (I think):
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Context Menu
  • Select Copy Name to Clipboard
  • Select the Show this item radiobutton
  • Click OK button
  • In the Everything search bar, search for
    file: parent:"c:\path to xyz"
  • Select all files in the resultlist ( CTRL+A )
  • Menu:File > Copy Name to Clipboard
Now all selected filenames (without path) are on the clipboard.

Alternative:
  • Select the Show this item when the Shift key is down radiobutton
  • Click on the File menu item while holding down the SHIFT key
  • Choose Copy Name to Clipboard
(other instructions are the same)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks!
Then this should do it (I think):

Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Context Menu
Select Copy Name to Clipboard
Select the Show this item radiobutton
Click OK button
In the Everything search bar, search for
file: parent:"c:\path to xyz"
Select all files in the resultlist ( CTRL+A )
Menu:File > Copy Name to Clipboard

Now all selected filenames (without path) are on the clipboard.
Great, that works. After marking ( CTRL+A ) about 100.000 files in the result list Everything shows no response:

I had to shut down it with the Task Manger. I guess, I have to select half the files or so (that does not work either, no response again). Or could I use the file list editor?

I tried to make a filter (to search for files in a special folder, so I would use that filer and just add the path in the search field) but this does not work:

How could I make it work?
Alternative:

Select the Show this item when the Shift key is down radiobutton
Click on the File menu item while holding down the SHIFT key
Choose Copy Name to Clipboard
So the only difference is that the "Copy name to clipboard" item is shown in the context menu when SHIFT is pressed.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:06 pm Great, that works. After marking ( CTRL+A ) about 100.000 files in the result list Everything shows no response:
  1. Did you try to open teh context menu instead of Menu:File > Copy Name to Clipboard ?
    That makes a HUGE difference as opening the context menu does a lot more (CPU and disk intensive tasks).
  2. As a test, I selected all files in C:\Windows (+subdirs). 200.000+ files were marked within a second (prbably within 0,1 second)
  3. 100.000 files in 1 folder? Explorer has performance issues with that many files. IIRC, the turning point is at (about) 50.000 files. Too lazy to look it up :)
Biff wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:06 pm So the only difference is that the "Copy name to clipboard" item is shown in the context menu when SHIFT is pressed.
Correct!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Another alternative:
  • In File Explorer, browse to your xyz folder
  • Type CMD in the address bar and press ENTER
  • Enter this command in the CMD window and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

dir /a:-d /b | clip

• Close the CMD window
All filenames in the xyz folder are now on the clipboard.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Did you try to open teh context menu instead of Menu:File > Copy Name to Clipboard ?
Ah sorry, I disregarded that (not intendently). I thought, since I should create the Copy Name to Clipboard entry in the context menu I should / could use it. Yes, very big differnece, hadn't have any idea, very estonishing, works great now, thank you. And thank you for testing.
100.000 files in 1 folder? Explorer has performance issues with that many files.
Yes, not only Explorer has. But Q-Dir does not.
the turning point is at (about) 50.000 files. Too lazy to look it up
The point beyond something like no response will occur?

Thank you very much!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You're welcome!

Biff wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:42 pm The point beyond something like no response will occur
Yes.
Below 50k: performance OK; above 50k: performance bad. (If it is indeed 50k ..)
Biff

Post by Biff »

There are no notifications for editions of a post on this forum, I guess.
In File Explorer, browse to your xyz folder
So the Win Explorer.
All filenames in the xyz folder are now on the clipboard.
Yes, so easy, unbelievable. Will note down that command / way.
Below 50k: performance OK; above 50k: performance bad. (If it is indeed 50k ..)
OK. But why at a special amount of file at all?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:55 pm OK. But why at a special amount of file at all?
I don't know. I didn't write Windows :)
Maybe because they (Microsoft) reserved some predefined amount of space (memory, array, ..) and above a certain limit that space is " full", so they have to switch to (the slower) "Plan B" . Much like when your RAM is full, it will go to Plan B: the swap file.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I don't know. I didn't write Windows :)
Yes, yes, but...
Maybe because they (Microsoft) reserved some predefined amount of space (memory, array, ..) and above a certain limit that space is " full", so they have to switch to (the slower) "Plan B" . Much like when your RAM is full, it will go to Plan B: the swap file.
Alright, yes, I see.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

BTW:
You can also send the list of filenames directly to a file, instead of to the clipboard, lik this:

dir /a:-d /b > "C:\some folder\output.txt"
(But I don't know what your further plans with this are, so maybe the clipboard option suits you better)
Biff

Post by Biff »

(But I don't know what your further plans with this are, so maybe the clipboard option suits you better)
Both ones are very good to use for me. So thank you very much!

How could I make a filter of this: file: parent:"c:\path to xyz"
So I would not have to enter / remember that code each time again (besides of the path).
Biff

Post by Biff »

With the File List Editor one cannot make such file lists (with name and extensions)?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The File List Editor creates EFU Files that have a structure like this:

Filename,Size,Date Modified,Date Created,Attributes
"T:\hwi_622",9318489,132250425485304446,,16
"T:\hwi_622\HWiNFO32.exe",4582128,132247612908230748,,8224
So, to answer your question: No.

You coùld get the same results with the ES.EXE command-line tool, but that would make things more complicated than necessary.
Biff

Post by Biff »

So, to answer your question: No.
OK, thank you, thought there might be some option I could not find.
You coùld get the same results with the ES.EXE command-line tool, but that would make things more complicated than necessary.
Sounds interesting...but, yes, you know, complication is not good for my brain, I guess.