Filtering Remote ETP Server

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
krosal

Filtering Remote ETP Server

Post by krosal »

I have recently setup an ETP server that would run (2) instances on the server and worked really well. I also had the same setup running at our remote business location.
While we were working to increase Network bandwidth at our remote location we noticed that Everything has a great 'Filtering' feature that works perfect for filtering the ETP connections and thought that we could use filtering to remove one of the ETP connections.

Note; I have setup the Everything Search on a Terminal Server2019 (RDS Server2019) as a remote desktop application and it works excellent on the RDP Client access to the ETP Server.

What I did was setup filtering on the RDP-Thin Client connection at our main location and it works great. Now when I try and do this on an RDP connection at our remote location, nothing shows up when performing a search. I do have have both clients (the local RDP and the Remote RDP setup the same).
Could this be that I need to open up a port for this to work remotely?

Thank you,
Kelly
Last edited by krosal on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Re: Filtering Remote ETP Server

Post by NotNull »

The RDP clients on the remote location .. do they connect to a TS on the main location?
krosal

Post by krosal »

Yes they do.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Well, then there is only RDP traffic flowing between the remote client and the TS on the main location. (*)
If you other published applications function properly on the remote location (meaning that RDP traffic is OK), I thinkyou should check the filtering rules.

(*) There is other traffic too (like printing), but that is not relevant for this connction issue.
krosal

Post by krosal »

I have verified that all of the remote desktop applications run as they should. Lotus Notes, Mainframe, etc.

I have a question on the filtering rules, where would I find these settings?

Thank you,
krosal

Post by krosal »

I was able to get this working. It was a mistake by me. I didn't have it pointed to the ETP Server that I have setup at the remote location. Once I did this, the searches showed information and the filtering to the path worked perfect. I can now use the filtering and remove the 2nd ETP server connection.

Thank you,
Kelly
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

:thumbsup:

(although I would run the (single) ETP Server in the same location where your terminal server is running (and thus your ETP clients). )
krosal

Post by krosal »

Yes, I am running an ETP server at the location of the Terminal Server and another at the remote location. I did however set the remote TS clients to point to the remote ETP server which seems to be working fine. Do you recommend that I just point it to the EPT server where the Terminal server is located instead?

Thank you,
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Yes.
Published applications run on the Terminal Server. In a nutshell:
  • When you start a published applcation on a user's computer/Terminal Server client, that application will be started on the Terminal Server.
  • Keyboard and mouse movements/presses are sent from users computer to TS
  • TS goes to work and
  • Sends the resulting screen layout in a efficient way back to users computer.
  • Users computer shows this information on it's monitor.

This happens now on the remote location:

Terminal Server: Main location
ETP Server: Remote location
User: Remote location.

- User start ETP Client (on Terminal server).
- Searches for ABC.
- ABC is sent from users computer to terminal server (from remote to main)
- Terminal Server (ETP Client) forwards ABC request to ETP Server (from main to remote)
- ETP Server responds and sends search results to TS (from remote to main)
- TS sends updated screen information to users computer (from main to remote)

Suggestion:

Terminal Server: Main location
ETP Server: Main location
User: Remote location.

- User start ETP Client (on Terminal server).
- Searches for ABC.
- ABC is sent from users computer to terminal server (from remote to main)
- Terminal Server (ETP Client) forwards ABC request to ETP Server (from main to main)
- ETP Server responds and sends search results to TS (from main to main)
- TS sends updated screen information to users computer (from main to remote)

Expected result:

That is free extra bandwidth on your main <--> remote connection (and that was the goal)
(But not a lot of extra bandwidth, as the ETP Server <--> ETP Client communictaion is quite efficient)

Furthermore:
With this, you need only 1 ETP Server (main location) and 1 ETP Client published application.
That is less to maintain (and thus less problems) :)

When you run 2 ETP Servers, both of them need to update their indexes by scanning local and remote disks.
Bringing this back to 1 ETP Server will help you in reducing network traffic.
krosal

Post by krosal »

That does make sense, very good information. I will modify the thin clients to point to the ETP server that is located where the Terminal Server is.

Thank you very much for this support.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No problem!