Duplicate results

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
burgundy

Duplicate results

Post by burgundy »

I get duplicate entries in the results if I specify a folder in Options and also the same drive in Options.

Is there a way to remove these duplicate results?

It would be useful to suspend all named folders for such occasions, in the same way as for the Exclude list.
void
Developer

Re: Duplicate results

Post by void »

NTFS volumes are automatically indexed by "Everything".

Adding a NTFS volume as a folder index will show duplicated results.

Please remove any NTFS volumes from your folder indexes:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab.
  • Select any NTFS volumes and click Remove.
  • Click OK.
To check which NTFS volumes are automatically included:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • NTFS volumes that have Include in database checked are already included as a NTFS index.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

void: Would it be outside of your design scope to allow Everything to automatically index all attached disk volumes? By default? I expressly teach people never to use NTFS for anything besides their system disk, and that seems like fair advice. And the proliferation of external FAT/exFAT formatted USB drives has become a staple of people's computer setups. It may even be fair to automatically add new disks as they are mounted (USB inserted).
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'm looking into automatically indexing FAT/exFAT volumes and mapped network drives in future releases of Everything.

Thanks for the suggestion.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

void wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:04 am Adding a NTFS volume as a folder index will show duplicated results.
Would it be possible to include a feature to enable/disable all the named folders, in the same way as happens for the Exclude list?
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

raccoon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:23 pm I expressly teach people never to use NTFS for anything besides their system disk, and that seems like fair advice.
Why is that?
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

ntfs is vulnerable to encryption ransomware while ex/fat is [usually] not.
ntfs is very problematic for drives that move between computers because of ACS (file ownership) permissions.
... on a secondary / data drive, this is pretty nasty after you have to reinstall windows on the primary.
ntfs [usually] cannot be used on Mac or Linux systems without special care.
ntfs cannot be used on mobile and embedded devices; tablets, televisions, photo kiosks, etc.
ex/fat specification is simpler and well known, so it's easier to recover data in my experience.

while it's true that ntfs has more features than ex/fat, those features are rarely wanted or used on data storage drives, adding unnecessary complexity and the possibility for mistakes (lost encryption keys) or nefarious acts (like sneaky hidden data and metadata).

highly subjective topic, of course. we should start a new thread.
therube

Post by therube »

ransomware ... while ex/fat is [usually] not.
Why?