no space between modifier and function?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jimspoon

no space between modifier and function?

Post by jimspoon »

I was experimenting, trying to figure out why certain complex searches weren't showing the results I expected.

I tried the following search:

path:startwith:c:\cloud\dropbox\camscanner nopath:startwith:1442

this search results include the following file:
C:\cloud\Dropbox\camscanner\.greet\json\144201849greet_card_pay_config.json

BUT, if there is any space between "path:" and "startwith:", or between "nopath:" and "startwith:", this file disappears from the search results.

So, it seems that there can not be any space between the path:/nopath: modifiers and a function used to search the designated part of the name? Is that right?

Is there any page where such interaction of modifiers, functions, etc. in complex searches is discussed? I am not sure of the best practices for constructing complex searches.

thanks very much !!
void
Developer

Re: no space between modifier and function?

Post by void »

So, it seems that there can not be any space between the path:/nopath: modifiers and a function used to search the designated part of the name? Is that right?
Correct, functions and regular search terms must immediately follow a modifier.
For example:
case:FOO

In Everything a space means AND
path: startwith:c:\cloud\
would be interpreted as path: AND startwith:c:\cloud\
the path: modifier is used on an empty term, which would end up matching everything.

Use double quotes to escape spaces:
startwith:" a file starting with a space.txt"

It is also possible to apply a modifier to a group, eg:
path:<startwith:c:\cloud\|startwith:c:\dropbox\>
Which Everything would expand to:
path:startwith:c:\cloud\ OR path:startwith:c:\dropbox\
Is there any page where such interaction of modifiers, functions, etc. in complex searches is discussed? I am not sure of the best practices for constructing complex searches.
The basics are here:
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/searching/
and here:
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1970

What type of complex search are you trying to perform?
Sometimes the Advanced Search can help with learning the syntax to Everything.
jimspoon

Re: no space between modifier and function?

Post by jimspoon »

Fantastic! Thanks!

In my case I was trying to match both a path, AND find files within those paths that started with certain patterns. But there was a problem in that the path contained the same pattern I was looking for in the filename. So I was getting results that matched the pattern in the path, but not in the filename. I didn't realize I could combine two searches for a file in the path and a pattern in the filename at the same time.

The path:, nopath:, regex: noregex: and other modifiers have opened up a new Everything world to me - even though I'd been using it for quite a few years.

Not being aware how to properly use them (no spaces between the modifier and the functions), I wasn't getting the results I wanted.

NOW I'm really set !! Thanks again.