Include sub folder in search

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
russ-t-2000

Include sub folder in search

Post by russ-t-2000 »

Hi, really hoping someone can help, love the program, I use it to search a large external drive full of mp`s - problem is these are all in sub folders, it would be perfect if say i searched for an artist or song title and it would search sub folders also and show the results including all files not a list of files and sub folders. Say i search rod stewart and i have 20 files in the main folder and a further 10 in a sub folder it will show the folder but not the files in it, doesn`t sound like a lot but my machine is old and I need to save a click into the folder if possible and show all 30 results first time.

Hope this makes sense and hoping someone can help.

Many thanks in advance.
therube

Re: Include sub folder in search

Post by therube »

If you have a directory named /rod stewart/, a search for 'rod stewart' & setting the Match Path (Ctrl+U) option should find all files within that tree; even if the file was named 'baby james.mp3'.
xscat

Post by xscat »

For what it sounds like you want to do, you could perhaps use the "artist" function in your search which looks into the "contributing artists" metadata field of your media files (assuming they are appropriately filled in :).

So a search field such as:
noregex: audio: artist:hendrix !root:"D:\Alltunes"

would return only the list of audio files that have "hendrix" as part of that metadata field that are nested anywhere under D:\AllTunes.
If the metadata fields are filled out accurately, a bonus is that the result list would also contain anything a particular artist (that you specify) collaborated on.

I am trying to do some cool things with complex searches, mostly by way of trial, error, and accident. I mean, I have to tell it NOT to use the root folder I specify (excluding subfolders) to actually get it to USE the root folder I specify (and include subfolders!?)?? Talk about counter-intuitive :)

Cheers
russ-t-2000

Post by russ-t-2000 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply both - much appreciated, the match path option works a treat - very happy now :D