Download corrupt?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
wryly

Download corrupt?

Post by wryly »

Trying to download the current version: Everything-1.2.1.371.exe at http://www.voidtools.com/download.php, but I keep getting a corrupt/incomplete file when I try to run it. Tried several browsers, same result. Your MD5 is posted as 70099f59ebb6d97aa17fb4ccf456c7a4, my hash shows 0a24c13c2a0e84c9cbdbe37aa885d06a consistently for each download.
therube

Re: Download corrupt?

Post by therube »

Just gave it a shot, downloaded without incident, hash compares.
It should be 341,811 bytes, dated 03/13/2009.

What browsers? What size is your download? When is it dated?
What is inside, i.e. if you open it in notepad, does it show binary code? Are the first two characters "MZ"?
wryly

Post by wryly »

Thanks for your reply.

I just tried again--no more errors and the hash is fine now. I'm not well-versed enough to guess at why it wasn't downloading properly earlier.

As for before, I initially downloaded via Firefox 3.62. After downloading unsuccessfully a few times, I switched to Chrome (current version stable channel) with the same result and later posted here.

The file sizeis accurate, the same 341,811 as the valid EXE, but double-clicking to install generates the following error message box:
NSIS Error
==========

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch
(NOT RECOMMENDED).
With 7zip I can extract the following from the EXE:
$PLUGINSDIR folder
Everything.exe
Everything.chm
Changes.txt

The changelog is fine and viewable, the CHM help file doesn't seem to want to open for me. I didn't bother trying to run the potentially corrupt executable.

Not sure what the deal was--this was on the hard-wired desktop, so no wireless issues to be concerned with. Wasn't the browser. No other connection problems or issues with any other downloads (and I've done a lot today, as I'm fully restoring two PCs for my brother.)

Regardless though, whatever the issue was earlier, the I'm now able to get a healthy download. Just one of those things, I guess...
wryly

Post by wryly »

I'm setting up another system tonight, and am encountering the same problem.

Downloaded four times, two different browsers (Firefox 3.6.2 and IE8 current.) Twice each. Same corrupt download that won't install and has the following MD5 every time:
bf239c0feaddb64c257311720df93406

I've confirmed it isn't my system by downloading and verifying hashes on files from three other sites after noticing this.
therube

Post by therube »

And I just downloaded again successfully.

Note that your hash this times differs from your earlier attempt.

Could you upload the corrupt file somewhere & paste a link to it.

http://drop.io/ or http://www.megaupload.com/ or http://www.slingfile.com/ should work.
daspud

Post by daspud »

I have downloaded that file dozens of times and several times in the last few days. I install immediately afterwards and have never had a problem. I am a PC Consultant and use SE on client's machines all the time. Sometimes I install from a stick and sometimes download.

I believe that the source file is fine so it must be something that is happening it along the way to you. I doubt it is the browser. I would look more toward the ISP, or router or some hardware. You say setting up another system. Is this a separate computer and attached to the same router?

Your best bet might be to go to the successful download and put it on a stick and install from there.
wryly

Post by wryly »

therube wrote:And I just downloaded again successfully.

Note that your hash this times differs from your earlier attempt.

Could you upload the corrupt file somewhere & paste a link to it.

http://drop.io/ or http://www.megaupload.com/ or http://www.slingfile.com/ should work.
Thanks for your reply, therube. Sorry for my delayed response--I was out of town for the Easter holiday weekend.

While I no longer have the download I posted about a few days ago, I just downloaded again and have the same issue. Here's the one I just downloaded:
http://drop.io/qrznfo0/asset/everything-1-2-1-371-exe

I get an MD5 hash of 08e69fa999c42d163c25884013b242b9 and the error message when I try to run the EXE:
NSIS Error

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch
(NOT RECOMMENDED).
wryly

Post by wryly »

daspud wrote:I have downloaded that file dozens of times and several times in the last few days. I install immediately afterwards and have never had a problem. I am a PC Consultant and use SE on client's machines all the time. Sometimes I install from a stick and sometimes download.

I believe that the source file is fine so it must be something that is happening it along the way to you. I doubt it is the browser. I would look more toward the ISP, or router or some hardware. You say setting up another system. Is this a separate computer and attached to the same router?

Your best bet might be to go to the successful download and put it on a stick and install from there.
Thanks for looking into this, daspud. I'd posted about the problem here, figuring that with the repeated problem that it was unlikely to just be me... perhaps I assumed wrong.

As for the other system, yes, it was a separate computer, separate HD. Same router (Netgear WNR834b) that I've had for a couple years, and I've noticed the same problem both via wired and wireless, both on the desktop and laptop, etc. (ISP is Time Warner Cable/Road Runner.) I was disinclined to think it was my router/network/ISP/whatever, since in spite of some major downloading, the only corrupt file I was getting was Everything via Voidtools.com. Everything else is 100% clean... and I've been doubly careful to hash everything to verify lately, in light of the issue here.

I was even able to download the file elsewhere without corruption--the only place I've had the problem is here (I also have the program archived on a portable HD, but it was more convenient at the time to download directly to the HD I had restored, notwithstanding that it's become a curiosity for me as to why this was happening.) Which is also, of course, why I posted about it--if there was any problem, I was pretty sure the PTBs would be interested.
therube

Post by therube »

(The downloaded <drop.io> bad copy's hash compared with what you posted above.)

There is a one byte difference between the bad & the good version.

Ordinarily I'd say to check memory (Memtest86+) & disk (Chkdsk & or the drive manufacturers diagnostic), but seemingly that wouldn't apply in your case? Note that this is now your third different hash (in addition to the valid one).

What browser are you using? If you were to use a download manager, do you still get corruption? If you were to bypass the router & connect directly to the modem ...? (Be sure & have a software firewall enabled.)

Suppose it's possible for a particular device on your end to have trouble with a particular device on the other (voidtool's end). (Like I know when I use LeechFTP, that I can download a corrupt version of Salamander from their FTP site. But in this case, the corruptions is consistent. ftp://ftp.altap.cz/pub/altap/salamand/ )