Filter with Path and Path are throwing me

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
therube

Post by therube »

Filter: <c:|m:> michael garrison, with 'Match path' enabled (in the filter)
Search: aurora dawn

Results:

Code: Select all

Michael Garrison - Aurora Dawn - 1988
07 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 1.mp3
08 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 2.mp3
09 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 3.mp3
10 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 4.mp3
11 - Aurora Dawn, Part 2 - Michael Garrison.mp3
11 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 5.mp3
Results with Match Patch (Ctrl+U) enabled:

Code: Select all

Michael Garrison - Aurora Dawn - 1988
01 Threshold.mp3
02 The Solar Sea.mp3
03 Magnetic Wind.mp3
04 Aurora Visage.mp3
05 Aurora Mist.mp3
06 Fade the Night.mp3
07 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 1.mp3
08 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 2.mp3
09 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 3.mp3
0_168de_1a67f377_XL.jpg
10 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 4.mp3
11 - Aurora Dawn, Part 2 - Michael Garrison.mp3
11 Aurora Dawn, Pt. 5.mp3
folder.jpg

Oh, OK, I think it just dawned on me.
Well, partially.

Take, "05 Aurora Mist.mp3".

"05 Aurora Mist.mp3" does not turn up in the first, because "dawn" is not in the filename.
But it is in the Path.
And Path is enabled in the Filter, so... ?
And yet when Match Path is enabled it does turn up, which makes sense (the directory path name includes "aurora dawn", "M:\MUSIC\Michael Garrison\Michael Garrison - Aurora Dawn - 1988").
But when not prior to enabling Match Path.
NotNull

Re: Filter with Path and Path are throwing me

Post by NotNull »

This is how I *think* it works:

When you apply a filter (Menu:Search > YourFilter (*)), you create a subset of all your files.
Subsequent querying (including "Match Path" outside the filter) is done on that subset; not on all your files.

Following your examples:

Case 1: Filter michael garrison with 'Match path' enabled (in the filter)
Filter:
<c:|m:> michael garrison
with 'Match path' enabled (in the filter) will find all files/folders with michael ànd garrison somewhere in the filename (including path).
That will find "M:\MUSIC\Michael Garrison\Michael Garrison - Aurora Dawn - 1988", as it has michael and garrison in the path (and is on your C: or M: disk, but let's ignore that for simplicity)
Now, when you specify a query:
aurora mist
this file will no longer be found as it has no mist in it's name.

Case 2: Filter michael garrison with 'Match path' enabled (in the filter ànd in the menu)
This is largely the same. It creates the same filtered subset (through the filter): all files with michael ànd garrison somewhere in the filename (including path)
Querying for aurora dawn with Match Path enabled (Ctrl-U) will find all files in this subset where there is somewhere aurora ànd mist in the filename (including path.
And tha will match "M:\MUSIC\Michael Garrison\Michael Garrison - Aurora Dawn - 1988\05 Aurora Mist.mp3"

Long story short: the Match Path in the filter limits results to those with michael and garrison in the full filename; the Ctr-U Match Path further limits the remaining results to files with aurora and dawn in the full filename.

Off topic: Now I have to listen to Aurora Dawn (never heard of this Michael Garrison)

(*) To complicate things: things work different when you use the corresponding filter-macro in the search-bar)
void
Developer

Re: Filter with Path and Path are throwing me

Post by void »

In short, the Match Path in the filter only effects the filters search.

If you want match path to apply to the current search you would need to use a filter function:
eg, set the filter search to:
path:<search:>
and set the filter macro to:
mypathfilter<search>
The macro name doesn't matter, now when this filter is active, your current search will be replaced with path:<search>

Maybe there is a way to make this simpler, such as including the following in your filters search:
enable-path:
-I would need to implement such a feature -added to my TODO list.

I already have a few searches such as sort:size or view:thumbnails (for Everything 1.5) that can be added to filters to change how your results are shown, the same could be done for query options.