Default Settings: How can I return to them?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Jeanvoidtools

Default Settings: How can I return to them?

Post by Jeanvoidtools »

(Please do not ask me any questions; people do so tend to do that, because I just want to reset "Everything" to the original default settings, period; I have my reasons. Yes, I've net-searched and searched within this website. I just want to reset the program to the wonderful, perfect default settings. No, reinstallation would not be a good option, as I have over 100 gigs of files and folders, and I don't want to wait while everthing is rescanned and filed. I'm perfectly willing to reset the settings one by one instead of clicking a tab, if there is no such tab, but I don't know what they are, or what 90% of the terms in options mean. I just want Everything back to the original, wonderful, perfect settings.
Thank you!
vanisk

Re: Default Settings: How can I return to them?

Post by vanisk »

Method 1
There is a restore defaults button on all tabs (except for Index tab). This is the safe method (IMO)

Method 2
To restore all the default settings in Everything:
  • Exit "Everything"
  • Delete the Everything.ini file in %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Restart Everything.
I'm not sure, if this will force a reindex or not as Exclude filters, volume includes settings are in the ini file

Method 3
Default ini file can be extracted from portable edition of Everything and can use it to compare with the present settings and the default one (either by manually or using file comparison utility)
[Edit: Just now opened my everything.ini file. There are 725 lines :!: in it.]
Jeanvoidtools

Post by Jeanvoidtools »

Can anyone just tell me what the default settings ARE? I can then reset them one by one.
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

Everything1.png
Everything1.png (33.77 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Everything2.png
Everything2.png (35.57 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Everything3.png
Everything3.png (33.94 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

Everything4.png
Everything4.png (29.6 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Everything5.png
Everything5.png (39.31 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Everything6.png
Everything6.png (32.58 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Jeanvoidtools

Post by Jeanvoidtools »

Thank you, but I still can't use EVERYTHING the way I could. I used to be able to look at the search results and click on a displayed result, and have the file open up.
Didn't matter whether it was a picture, folder, file, program, etc., it would just open.
The display also looked different; it was shown in various colors, but it's now in black and white, even after making all your displayed changes for default setting restoration.

I did, btw, notice that there is a RESTORE DEFAULTS tab in the lower right corner of each of your suggested areas.
After I could not get back to the original capabilities by clicking the boxes as you showed, I then tried going into each displayed area you showed and clicking that tab.
The results were exactly the same. I can't click on any type of displayed result and get any file to open up. I must instead go through several steps, sometimes ten steps, to navigate through Microsoft's absolutely ghastly timesuck File Explorer to get to any displayed result.

Can anyone tell me how to get EVERYTHING to open up its displayed results when I click on any one of them?
ovg

Post by ovg »

vanisk
Could you please post default context menu options? It seems OP looks for them ...

Jeanvoidtools
Tools->Options->Context Menu
Open (Files) - $exec("%1")
Explore Path - $exec("%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" /n,/e,/select,"%1")
Explore - $exec("%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" /n,/e,"%1")
Last edited by ovg on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

I was going to ask, what is happening when the OP double clicks a result. but...
Last edited by vanisk on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeanvoidtools

Post by Jeanvoidtools »

Somebody asked me for an OP. I have no idea what that it, and I'm glad.
This is the kind of thing that makes me (humbly...) ask people to just answer my question, not ask me any questions. I just want to get work done; results, with my problem solved.
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

OP -> Original Poster

We did answer your question, about resetting to default settings. Options are limited, if we didn't know what exactly is happening when you double click a result.

Further, please try ovg's suggestion (Context menu settings)
Jeanvoidtools

Post by Jeanvoidtools »

Thank you, everybody, for trying to help, and I will not be checking this forum again. I've spent all the time I can on this subject, and will live with EVERYTHING as it is.
It's still a million times faster than Windows!