Behavior of User Interface While Handling Large Volume of Data Updates

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
RoyF

Behavior of User Interface While Handling Large Volume of Data Updates

Post by RoyF »

When files are being created and/or deleted rapidly, it feels like the keyboard and mouse input to Everything is competing with a high volume of NTFS activity.

Today, due to a coincidence, I exacerbated the problem by accidentally causing extremely excessive file activity after just having updated Everything to the latest release. The problem with Everything's keyboard and mouse response became so severe that Everything became unusable. At first, I thought the Everything upgrade was to blame, but after putting back an older version of Everything I realized it had to be something else. I finally decided to look at other activity on my computer and I realized the problem. One of my programs was stuck in a loop creating a large number of files rapidly. After stopping the rogue program, the behavior of Everything returned to it's usual robust form. Boy was I relieved. I am so addicted to Everything!

My suggestion is to change the internal structure of the Everything app so that the thread that handles user input and output is not blocked by high volume data update activity.

I found a related suggestion in this board dated Oct 10, 2015 on the topic of program behavior while performing a longer query. That was another case where the main program window became unresponsive.
void
Developer

Re: Behavior of User Interface While Handling Large Volume of Data Updates

Post by void »

Thanks for your issue report.

Currently, Everything will block until all file system changes are processed.

It will be fixed in the next major version of Everything.
The next major version of Everything will cancel updating if there is any database access request and will resume updating once database access is complete.
RoyF

Re: Behavior of User Interface While Handling Large Volume of Data Updates

Post by RoyF »

Thanks for recognizing the issue. A more normal situation, where I see similar behavior, is when I am running Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and it is compiling and linking my build consisting of about 80 C++ projects in the background. Visual Studio creates a ton of intermediate files while building. Everything sometimes becomes unusable until after my build is complete. I'm looking forward to the next major version with this new feature that lets user interaction preempt data update.