Multiple Everything icons in the systray

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jgt1942

Multiple Everything icons in the systray

Post by jgt1942 »

It seems that every time I open Everything it add another icon to my systray and when I close an Everything window it does NOT remove the icon from the systray. I currently have 9 Everything icons in my systray but I actually only have four Everything window currently open. When I mouse over the Everything systray icon a pop-up with "Everything" in it pops up, thus I have no idea which icon is for which real window. Why do I see multiple icons in the systray. Is there suppose to be something unique about each icon?
void
Developer

Re: Multiple Everything icons in the systray

Post by void »

Disable Allow multiple instances.

To disable allow multiple instances:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Uncheck Allow multiple instances.
  • Click OK.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

I don't think I want to disable the multiple instances. I often need to search multiple locations, e.g. I need to limit my search to a folder and the folders under it. What I see happening is every time I I start Everything a new icon is added to the systray and the icon does not go away until I reboot my system. Earlier I had nine Everything icons in the systray and at that instant in time I only had four Everything windows open. IMHO no matter how many Everything windows I have open there should only be one icon in the systray.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try using named instances.

You will need to disable allow multiple instances.

For more information please see:
http://support.voidtools.com/everything ... _instances
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

OK I the suggested info at the link you provided and was still lost but I disabled allow multiple instances and I don't see multiple icons in the systray. Even though I really don't understand what I just did I'm a happy camper. Also with this change when I right-click on a folder and select "Search Everything" the Everything window pops up blinding fast - this really made me happy.