Slow Saving on Network Share

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
js0873

Slow Saving on Network Share

Post by js0873 »

I've been investigating slowdowns on saving on our network share drive. I did a network trace this morning and I'm seeing lots of SMB CHANGE NOTIFY command traffic when changes are made. Basically every machine in our domain looks to be getting that communication.

We love Search Everything, and all users have the share drive added to the Index folder list because that's just so handy. Our settings are "Attempt to monitor changes", buffer size 64 KB and rescan every day at 3 AM. I'm getting suspicious that every machine monitoring changes is slowing down saving, but I don't know that. And if it is I'd hate to make not monitor the share drive since that's so valuable. Assuming this is a source of the problem are there tuning changes that might help?

I'll throw in that when the file server is using SMB1this isn't a problem. It only rears it's head when we enable SMB2 on this system, which is Server 2008 R2, but SMB2 is always enabled. I simply did a test of SMB1 and this issue went away, but I don't see the same communication to all machines on changes that I do with SMB2.