Slow Start in Windows 7

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Bizcoach

Slow Start in Windows 7

Post by Bizcoach »

I just upgraded to windows 7 from vista and now when I start the program for the first time after a reboot it takes a long time (like 60 or 90 seconds) before the files come up - even before I type anything in the search bar. After that it comes up instantly. In Vista it always came up instantly.

Is there a way to fix this?
daspud

Re: Slow Start in Windows 7

Post by daspud »

I am running 446a (win 7 64bit) and I see a similar thing. It is scanning the drives and takes a moment or two. I have 1.3 Million files total.

I sleep the system most times and so I don't see it often enough for it to be a bother. It is almost like the status as indicated in Win 7 is so far out of synch with the data base that ET thinks it has to totally resynch. Maybe David has some thoughts on this?
void
Developer

Post by void »

"Everything" is re-indexing every time you restart it.

"Everything" will re-index when one of the follow happens:
  1. Too many file system changes occurred.

Please increase your USN Journal maximum size to at least 32768 KB.

To change the USN Change Journal maximum size:
    • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
    • Click the Volumes tab.
    • For each volume in the Local NTFS volumes list:
      • Set the Maximum size to 32768 KB.
    • Click OK.
  2. "Everything" is not closed correctly.
    The database on disk will be updated when you exit "Everything".
  3. Another program re-created the USN Journal or deleted it.
  4. Drive arrangement changed.
  5. Database is corrupt.
Bizcoach

Post by Bizcoach »

Thanks for the insight. My journal maximum was already set to that number.

I didn't have this problem when running under vista. Is there anything about the change to Windows 7 that would cause persistent re-indexing? And is there some setting in the OS I can change to stop it?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try the following:
  • Disable Start on system startup in "Everything" from the option window.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Run "Everything" in debug mode.
To run "Everything" in debug mode:
Run Everything.exe with the -debug command line option

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -debug
What is displayed in the debug console?
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

Possible solution - I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 and noticed some of the same issues that others have reported and for me the hit was really long. I have a total of 10 drives (2-500GB, 8-1TB and 1-1.5TB) and they are reasonably full.

I was looking at my options > Volumes (tab) and noticed that I did not have a location for the database. I created a folder SearchEverything on my "C" drive and now it is running super fast.
Bizcoach

Post by Bizcoach »

Things seem to be working faster for me now - I can't see it reindexing. Don't know why or what made the change but I'm glad it's back the way it was working.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

Even with the DB specified at times I notice that SE is scanning all of my drives. I assume this is due to one of the reasons in the above post.

I often right-click on a folder in windows explore (actually xplorer2 - replacement for WE) and select Search Everything. It would be super nice if SE needed to rescan that it would only rescan the folder that I'm attempting to use rather than my entire system (2-500GB drives, 2-1TB RAID1 arrays, 1-1.5TB RAID1 array, 1-2TB RAID1 array plus a couple of 1TB external drives). With the entire rescan it is a rather huge hit.
daspud

Post by daspud »

I have run into that rescan thing once in a while and I too would like it only scan the drive that has the file I am looking for on it.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know where that file is until the scan is over. Maybe what could be an option is to return results while it is scanning so that you can see something sooner?
scharf

Post by scharf »

Maybe this is related to post database is not saved on shutdown.

Have you tried to exit everything by hand before you shutdown windows? On my XP system the database is not written when I shut down the system and everything is still running.

Michael
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

scharf wrote:Maybe this is related to post database is not saved on shutdown.

Have you tried to exit everything by hand before you shutdown windows? On my XP system the database is not written when I shut down the system and everything is still running.

Michael
I just looked at the time-stamp on my DB file and it is 01/07/2010 23:49:42 and today is 01/12/2010 12:43. Darn if SE only writes or updates the DB on shutdown this could be a problem for me. I normally don't shut down unless I'm forced to do so. Some applications I run might run for 2-3 weeks before they complete thus I'm not anxious to shut down my system.

Most often when I use SE I'm in Windows Explorer and I right-click on a folder or drive and select SE. Therefore if SE scans my entire system I don't think this is the best option. IMHO it only needs to scan the drive/folder I've selected. I currently have nine drives and about 9TB of data on my system, for sure I'm not interested in a system rescan and don't need a rescan every time I click on a drive/folder.
daspud

Post by daspud »

jgt1942 wrote:I just looked at the time-stamp on my DB file and it is 01/07/2010 23:49:42 and today is 01/12/2010 12:43. Darn if SE only writes or updates the DB on shutdown this could be a problem for me. I normally don't shut down unless I'm forced to do so. Some applications I run might run for 2-3 weeks before they complete thus I'm not anxious to shut down my system.

Most often when I use SE I'm in Windows Explorer and I right-click on a folder or drive and select SE. Therefore if SE scans my entire system I don't think this is the best option. IMHO it only needs to scan the drive/folder I've selected. I currently have nine drives and about 9TB of data on my system, for sure I'm not interested in a system rescan and don't need a rescan every time I click on a drive/folder.
That may be the last time it was written to disk, but it should be updated continuously.

I can't right click on a folder to start ET. That would presume that I knew where the file was. <BG> I have a hotkey and it searches all 1.2M files no sweat. I can understand how with 9 drives you might not want to search them all but the name of the program is search EVERYTHING. My understanding is that the scans only take place when there are large numbers of changes to a drive. Maybe David has some ideas here?
scharf

Post by scharf »

daspud wrote:My understanding is that the scans only take place when there are large numbers of changes to a drive. Maybe David has some ideas here?
That is true. However, if you shutdown your machine, (while everything 1.2.1.451a is running) everything is not closed in a way that saves the database. (see database is not saved on shutdown). I think something similar happens with Everything-1.2.1.371.

If you exit everything with "exit" in the context menu of the tray icon then it saves the database and it does not rescan you entire disk, when the system starts.

Michael
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

I just installed 1.2.1.451a and noticed the following:
1) In windows explorer if I right-click on a folder and select "Search Everything" a full system scan is run. I've checked and ensure I saved the DB (Tools > Option) and this seems to be getting reset, e.g. I don't always see the saved DB.
2) Even when I see the DB option set (it is pointing to a DB) I still see a full system scan. On my system that takes about 1.07.47 minutes (7.5TB of data). This of course is not exciting results.
3) every time I right-click on a folder and select SE I see another SE icon in the systray (currently I have 8 SE icons in the systray and I've closed all of the SE windows on the taskbar.

When I right-clicked on the folder and selected Search Everything I expected SE to scan only the folder selected.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

I just made a change to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Everything\Everything.ini file and changed the line allow_multiple_instances=1 to allow_multiple_instances=0. This was done based on feedback from void in response to my issue with multiple everything icons in the systray. It now seems that Everything starts MUCH faster and when I right-click on a folder in Windows Explore the Everything window pops up VERY fast. For me this has resolve my major issues.