Not seeing all files on drive until manual rescan.

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
glensmith1337

Not seeing all files on drive until manual rescan.

Post by glensmith1337 »

Hi all,

I've been using Everything on a few machines and it is bloody marvellous. It has saved me so much time searching for files using the standard windows search bar it's unreal.

I have run into a strange scenario today where I was searching for a file I knew to be on an indexed drive but Everything couldn't find it. After rescanning the drive manually the file appeared in the search results. The drive in question is set to rescan every day at 00:00 along with a bunch of other NAS drives. So, I'm wondering where the problem lies. Is it because I have so many drives set to rescan at the same time? is it the buffer size?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions with this one.

Also, is it possible to have a single machine scan drives and make that data available to other machines? This would be great as it would be a lot more efficient. I think I have seen something in the settings that suggests this is possible but I wanted to check before exploring it.

Many thanks in advance!

Glen
NotNull

Re: Not seeing all files on drive until manual rescan.

Post by NotNull »

That might be caused by your scanning schedule.
You are using folder indexing. If it misses the 00:00 schedule (for example because your system is down), it will scan the next time Everything is started.
(You can check that in Menu:Tools > Options > Folders; in that case you can see a [Rescanning] label with one of your folders.)

There is an Everything.ini entry to prevent re-scanning and thus only scan at 00:00 (or whatever your schedule is):

Code: Select all

folder_update_rescan_asap=0
(You can also type /folder_update_rescan_asap=0 in the search bar and press Enter to let the program put this entry in the INI file)

Also, is it possible to have a single machine scan drives and make that data available to other machines?
Take a look at http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/etp/ and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1790 for more info on that.
One machine (the ETP server) does all the indexing; other machines (the ETP clients) can connect to that server.
Note that one Windows computer can be an ETP-server and an ETP-client at the same time.