3tb external HDD not searching

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Nikola
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm

3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Nikola » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Hello. I am a loyal user of voidtools. However, I am having issues these days. I installed a new HDD of 3tb and is NTFS formatted. The search engine won't search in it. Even when I right click on the disk it says 0 objects while the disk is full of stuff. I am unsure how to make this work. Thanks

Stamimail
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Stamimail » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Ensure Everything service is installed [Options > General > Everyhting Service]
Ensure the NTFS drive is included [Options > NTFS > Select the 3tb HDD Volume > Check Include in database]
Force Rebuild [Options > Indexes > Force Rebuild]

Nikola
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Nikola » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 am

Stamimail wrote:Ensure Everything service is installed [Options > General > Everyhting Service]
Ensure the NTFS drive is included [Options > NTFS > Select the 3tb HDD Volume > Check Include in database]
Force Rebuild [Options > Indexes > Force Rebuild]

Thanks for your reply. However, I already did those settings. It simply skips the entire drive and does not search in it. I am using 64 bit latest versions and drive is ntfs formated. This is really annoying because all files I needed were moved to that drive. Thanks

Stamimail
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Stamimail » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am

Try to download a new portable version, and run it as administrator (to be able to index NTFS).
What happen?

NotNull
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby NotNull » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Nikola wrote:Even when I right click on the disk it says 0 objects while the disk is full of stuff.


What do you mean by that? Is this something that you do in Explorer, Everything or even yet another utility?
If Explorer itself doesn't 'see' the files, what do you expect from Everything?

Nikola
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Nikola » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 pm

NotNull wrote:
Nikola wrote:Even when I right click on the disk it says 0 objects while the disk is full of stuff.


What do you mean by that? Is this something that you do in Explorer, Everything or even yet another utility?
If Explorer itself doesn't 'see' the files, what do you expect from Everything?

Explorer sees the files I can normally browse them.

Image

Nikola
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Nikola » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Stamimail wrote:Try to download a new portable version, and run it as administrator (to be able to index NTFS).
What happen?

Same happens. It simpply skips to scan the drive and therofre not searching in it.

NotNull
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby NotNull » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks for explaining! Makes it a little easier to see what's going on :-)

TIP 1: If you used a cluster size > 64k for your NTFS filesystem, you need Everything 1.4.889 or above
(viewtopic.php?t=6531)

TIP2: Explorer accesses the files in another way than Everything does. Everything reads the MFT. You might have issues with this MFT.
Instructions on how to fix these are (for example) here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6222&p=18633&hilit=mft#p18633

Workaround: You can 'force' Everything to access the files in the same way as Explorer does, by using Folder Indexing instead of NTFS indexing:
Add E:\ in Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders

Good luck and please let us know what works (or not)

Nikola
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Nikola » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 pm

NotNull wrote:Thanks for explaining! Makes it a little easier to see what's going on :-)

TIP 1: If you used a cluster size > 64k for your NTFS filesystem, you need Everything 1.4.889 or above
(viewtopic.php?t=6531)

TIP2: Explorer accesses the files in another way than Everything does. Everything reads the MFT. You might have issues with this MFT.
Instructions on how to fix these are (for example) here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6222&p=18633&hilit=mft#p18633

Workaround: You can 'force' Everything to access the files in the same way as Explorer does, by using Folder Indexing instead of NTFS indexing:
Add E:\ in Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders

Good luck and please let us know what works (or not)

Hmm thanks. Doubt I have issues with MFT. Well, the hard drive is fairly new and such. I tried above given suggestions and only adding E:/ worked. Other than that, it simply won't scan for that disk. It skips it.

Here is the debug log: https://pastebin.com/bJqwd9Ez

NotNull
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby NotNull » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:51 pm

You are still on an older version (1.4.1.877). Sure about your cluster size?

Nikola
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby Nikola » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 pm

NotNull wrote:You are still on an older version (1.4.1.877). Sure about your cluster size?

I am using latest, provdided by the main website. And yeah, pretty sure.

Thinking about that. What if HDD is GPD and not MBR? Think sizes more than 2tb are not supported by MBR.

ovg
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby ovg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:04 pm


NotNull
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby NotNull » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 pm

ovg wrote:2Nikola
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5718


@ovg: Good luck getting through to @nikola!:

stamimail wrote:Try to download a new portable version


NotNull wrote: you need Everything 1.4.889 or above
(viewtopic.php?t=6531)


NotNull wrote:You are still on an older version (1.4.1.877).


And yet ....
nikola wrote:I am using latest


I give up. I'm going to do more useful things with my time and brains.

ovg
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby ovg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm

2NotNull
No, thanks :lol:, I don't care :mrgreen:

NotNull
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby NotNull » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Hahaha! :lol:

void
Site Admin
Posts: 3631
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: 3tb external HDD not searching

Postby void » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:58 am

Does the External HDD show up in Tools -> Options -> NTFS?
Is Include in database checked?

Please check your external HDD for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.

Try forcing a rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.

If the problem persists, could you please send some information about your external HDD:
  • From a command prompt run the following command:
    fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo e:
  • What is displayed in the console?
    fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo e:
  • What is displayed in the console?


Return to “Support”