Export not getting full search for large batches

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
KernalCheddar

Export not getting full search for large batches

Post by KernalCheddar »

I'm trying to export a search to a csv file, but it is extremely large (a little over 7000 results) the problem is when I try to export it, I can only see the options that were visible on the screen during the export (about 40 files). Is there anything I can do to get the full export? I would be fine with waiting while the program is thinking, but it completes almost instantly with almost none of the information.
NotNull

Re: Export not getting full search for large batches

Post by NotNull »

If I export my complete Everything index (around 235k entries) to a CSV file, approximately 2 seconds later that CSV is created with also around 235k entries.
Size of the CSV file is 2.7 times that of the Everything.db.

Export through Menu:File > Export and choose Save As Type: CSV Files

How did you check your CSV file? I opened it in Notepad++.

BTW: Export is always done on the complete result list, even if you selected only a couple of those entries. Refine your search to get a shorter list (or delete them from your CSV, of course).
KernalCheddar

Post by KernalCheddar »

the export completes very quickly, and I am exporting using the correct options.

I had been trying to open the .csv with excel, but I tried opening it in notepad++ and found that it's only giving me information for the first 40 or so, and the rest of the 7000 entries are there, but blank (showed in notepad++ as rows that just say "","",)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Oh, wait .... weren't you using an ETP client/server construction? (how is that going, by the way?)
That introduces new variables....

The ETP client fetches a minimal number of records from the ETP server; probably just enough to fill the screen.
I would expect the export function to be clever enough to handle this (and it probably is), but maybe older versieons of Everything have trouble with that?

So, a few thoughts ...
- First thing to test is running an export on the ETP server itself. If that fails (which I don't expect), do a Force rebuild of the database ( Menu:Tools > Opions > Indexes )
- Install the latest version of Everything on boh ETP-server and -client. You mentioned in your ETP thread that you have quite a few files to index. Make sure you are running the 64-bit version of Everything to prevent problems with 4GB memory limits.
-
KernalCheddar

Post by KernalCheddar »

Ah, looks like you were right, running the export directly from the server did it for me (even though I am on the newest version of everything for server and client)

the client server setup is going great! still a couple minor kinks we're working through, but you've been an enormous help throughout the process, and I continue to be amazed by what this program can handle (our server is indexing about 5 million files across 8 different servers in different states)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

KernalCheddar wrote:Ah, looks like you were right, running the export directly from the server did it for me (even though I am on the newest version of everything for server and client)
Thanks for trying that. You now have at least somne sort of workaround.
Still, would be nice if this was also possible from the ETP client.

I found a rather old thread (viewtopic.php?t=276) where someone mentions the same issue.
Apparently it's still on the todo-list. (I'm not surprised by that: every week there are so many suggestions (*) that it is a month's work (at least!) to implement only half of those ...)

(*) But hardly any bugs.