Folder 'protocol' help

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Russws

Folder 'protocol' help

Post by Russws »

An 'everything' related issue..
Windows 10 - I had an issue where another Explorer type program suddenly started opening from Explorer folder links. After removing the program, all looks good in Explorer BUT
When I click on any folder in Everything, or right click menu Open or Open Path (of folder or a file) I get the following:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

So, what 'association' is it looking for (different from if I open a folder in Explorer)?
NotNull

Re: Folder 'protocol' help

Post by NotNull »

This is not an Everything issue, but an issue with your 3rd party filemanager tool.
It has left file-associations in the registry, which causes Everything to try to open this tool (causing an error as this tool is no longer installed)

No self-respecting filemanager will override the default file associations without asking you. And most likely has an option to reset this back to default.
Easiest way to fix this, is to install the program again, see if you can find an ' un-associate' option and select that.
Plan B: choose the ' associate' option and after that the ' un-assciate' option.

There are other ways, involving messing with the registry, but I don't know about your technical skills.

On second thought: The very best option would be to post this question on the forum of your "another Explorer type program".
Or just search that forum. It was probably asked before.

BTW: Which tool?