How to exclude a temporary drive from results

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
salazor

How to exclude a temporary drive from results

Post by salazor »

How to exclude a temporary drive from results, but not after a drive letter, only using a volume id - is this possible?

I have now two drives with the letters P: and O: - one is offline (is corrupt) but I do not want to remove it completely from the database. The second one is now connected but not yet in the database.

I suspect that when I add it to the database and select the disk P: this results I will see from both - or so?
therube

Re: How to exclude a temporary drive from results

Post by therube »

Does the second need to have the same drive letters; P & O, or can you go with something else, like T & U?

(Backup your Everything.db.)
salazor

Post by salazor »

All other letters occupied.

Yes I backup Everything.db
void
Developer

Post by void »

It can be done if you know the drive letter.

I've added to my TODO list: add a search function to search by volume guid.

To exclude a drive from the search, search for !<drive letter>: , for example, to exclude the P: drive, search for:
!p:

To add this search to your Everything filter:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Select the Everything filter and click Edit....
  • Change the Search to:
    !p:
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
To add a new filter to search your p: drive:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Click New....
  • Change the Name to:
    p:
  • Change the Search to:
    p:
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

salazor wrote:How to exclude a temporary drive from results, but not after a drive letter, only using a volume id - is this possible?

I have now two drives with the letters P: and O: - one is offline (is corrupt) but I do not want to remove it completely from the database. The second one is now connected but not yet in the database.

I suspect that when I add it to the database and select the disk P: this results I will see from both - or so?
I suspect so, too. So I don't think it is possible.

Some alternatives:
[1] Convert the current content of the P: disk to an EFU List (search for P: ; export the results as an EFU list) as it will be static content (corrupt volume).

[*] You can keep that list seperate and open it if needed or ...
[*] Open it in a text-editor like Notepad and replace P:\ with something else, like [OLD] P:\ Everything will not mind.
Add this EFU-list to your indexes or ...
[*] In the text-editor, convert P:\ to it's "Volume path" , like \\?\Volume{32be1fc5-b3c2-11e5-83e5-806e6f6e6963}\ (replace the Volume GUID with that of your P: drive).
Although this is a valid path, most Windows functions don't knw (yet) how to handle it (on Win7; maybe Win10 handles this better). API support for this kind of paths will improve with time I think.
Add this EFU-list to your indexes.

[2] Remove all other drives from the index and keep the resulting database separate. Open it it as a read-only instance when you need it. Create a new database for your "normal" indexes.

EDIT:
@void: if I understood salazor correctly, the new drive that has yet to be indexed will also be named P:\ , as he/she run out of available drive letters. Excluding P: from the index would then also exclude the new disk.