Now that I've got Everything, can I disable Windows Search Indexing?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
kiki95

Now that I've got Everything, can I disable Windows Search Indexing?

Post by kiki95 »

I'm sorry but these questions will reveal my ignorance in so many tech things. But here goes anyway:

0.5) First off, is the program called "Everything", "Search Everything" or "Everything Search"?! The blog that told me about you called it "Search Everything" (as does hovering over the Quicklaunch shortcut). The voidtools.com home page says "Everything Search Engine" and the download section just calls it "Everything 1.3.4". Just wondering.

1) I found " *Everything* " after tearing out my last remaining hair using Windows Search. I had 'rebuilt' the complete indexes but was still having horrid search results (if any appeared at all). Even when I found the folder containing the file and decided to search that exact folder (just to see)...it still would not find the file!! Also SearchIndexer.exe is hogging so many system resources. Ok, so my question is, does Everything use the wdb file in any way? Can I now shut off "indexing" in Windows?

2) Possibly I should have asked this question first. I use Outlook 2013 and "try" to get its search function to actually find emails. (rarely successful). Can Everything also find emails/senders/content etc.? If not, then it looks like I need to leave Windows search runnning afterall. Sad.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Re: Now that I've got Everything, can I disable Windows Search Indexing?

Post by void »

0.5) First off, is the program called "Everything", "Search Everything" or "Everything Search"?! The blog that told me about you called it "Search Everything" (as does hovering over the Quicklaunch shortcut). The voidtools.com home page says "Everything Search Engine" and the download section just calls it "Everything 1.3.4". Just wondering.
The program is called Everything
1) I found " *Everything* " after tearing out my last remaining hair using Windows Search. I had 'rebuilt' the complete indexes but was still having horrid search results (if any appeared at all). Even when I found the folder containing the file and decided to search that exact folder (just to see)...it still would not find the file!! Also SearchIndexer.exe is hogging so many system resources. Ok, so my question is, does Everything use the wdb file in any way? Can I now shut off "indexing" in Windows?
Everything does not require Windows indexing. Windows indexing can be disabled.
2) Possibly I should have asked this question first. I use Outlook 2013 and "try" to get its search function to actually find emails. (rarely successful). Can Everything also find emails/senders/content etc.? If not, then it looks like I need to leave Windows search runnning afterall. Sad.
No Everything does not index file contents.
There is a content: search function, but this does not work for Outlook's .pst email database.
For email clients that store emails in eml files, the content: search function works great.