Excessive Ram Usage and Very Long Indexing

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
alittleofeverything

Excessive Ram Usage and Very Long Indexing

Post by alittleofeverything »

Greetings,

Big fan of Everything. :) I've used Everything for years to index some network drives on a Netgear NAS. I recently have switched to a Synology NAS (916+) which uses the BTRFS file system. I've migrated all of my data (ie, I'm indexing the same amount of data), but some of my indexed locations are never completing and Everything's RAM use is way outside of what has previously been normal. I was observing this on 1.3.4.686 (x64), and I'm still observing it on 1.4.1.861b (x64).

For example, the folder "main" was indexing for around 4 hours and never finished, and RAM climbed to around 4.5GB.

The main thing that I am aware of being different between the old Netgear NAS and the Synology is that for some of my shares on the Synology (such as "main") I have a feature called Snashots enabled, which creates a folder within "main" called "#snapshot". The BTRFS file system enables very efficient snapshots of my data, which are browseable within the #snapshot folder. This creates some potential recursion issues for something like Everything in that each Snapshot duplicates the entire "main" directory tree. So I have configured Everything to specifically Exclude that directory (by selecting the #snapshot directory via the GUI in the Exclude Folders dialog), and thus all the contained Snapshots. However, I am hypothesizing that something is not quite working right because it is only the folders where Snapshots are enabled that are having the endless indexing (and ever growing RAM) issues.

Thanks to the new feature for excluding directories when creating File Lists (https://voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4824) I have, however, been able to create a filelist that excluded the #snapshot directory and successfully created a filelist of similar size (and in reasonable time) to what was being generated when my data was on the Netgear NAS. (I need filelists because I send those to a remote PC that accesses the data on this NAS remotely, via VPN.)

I'm going to email my log and .ini file (I enabled verbose logging per this post: viewtopic.php?t=5790 ). The log I'm sending is from a ~3 hour run of "main" indexing, during which RAM climbed to ~3.6GB.

Let me know if there's anything else you need, or anything I can do on my end. I don't assume that Everything is doing anything wrong, but I'd love to still figure out how to get things working with my new NAS.

Thanks!
:)
void
Developer

Re: Excessive Ram Usage and Very Long Indexing

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug information.

Everything 836b should fix the issue.

Everything was indexing all the subfolders and files and then excluding files and folders.
Everything 836b will only index what is included.