Everything to be used with Network users

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
TRG

Everything to be used with Network users

Post by TRG »

Hey Guys,

We have a huge shared folder at work. I have Everything installed on my computer and I set the indexes to refresh at night.

Now I saved the indexes in a shared folder.

How can I set other users to use my indexes only and not create their own ? maybe the question should be can multi users share the same indexes database ? :?:
GasEngine

Re: Everything to be used with Network users

Post by GasEngine »

+1 :-)

This would be a great help
therube

Post by therube »

Don't know?
What have you tried?

Disable all updating on the clients.
Use the -read-only switch.
Set the path to Everything.db to the share location.

Anything like that work?
Rene

Post by Rene »

same thing as op , i would like to try this so i've setup all my pcs to use a network path to the Everything database. it's easier than having 2 etp servers (one is up 24/7 but has old usb2 ports. the other is a laptop with usb3 ports so i connect my usb drives to it)

So i figure they could all use the same path (ie:\\192...\public\everything and all access the same everything.db)

i didn't stop the updating on any client because i want the database as fresh as possible.

1 pc is up 24/7 so i use it to update everything whenever for my nas.
The laptop is on a few hours each day so it can update everything for the usb drives and nas (optional if db is properly updated by pc1).

is this right to have this always updated properly by all pc in Lan ?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Rene wrote:is this right to have this always updated properly by all pc in Lan ?
Probably not. When Everything is started, the database is loaded from disk into RAM. After that, changes to the database are only done in RAM (of the machine where Everything.exe is running). The first time the database on disk will be updated, is when you stop Everything.
So when you start Everything on your 24/7 PC, Everything.db will not be updated until you exit Eveything after a couple of months.
When you load this Everything.db from your laptop, it will load the old, original database and miss out on all the changes done since.

Besides: If you let multiple systems write to the same Everything.db, all entries will be overwriten by the last one that saves the database to disk.
Somewha like 4 people writing a different document and saving it under the same name. Last one that saves it wins. Other versions will be overwritten.

Note: You can force Everything to dump the RAM database to disk wih commandline Everything.exe -update
void
Developer

Post by void »

An "Everything Server" is planned for Everything 1.5.

For now, please consider:
Folder Indexing
File Lists
ETP
Loading a custom DB
Rene

Post by Rene »

thank you both, sorry for the late reply, the notification got buried under the rest of the emails.

i hope v1.5 is coming soon, please void don't forget about the disk label idea i gave you last summer. it'll really help to find things on external drives.

here's an idea for void, what if everything writes to the db after each scan of the network instead of just on shutdown? i mean if we can force it by cmd line, maybe we could set it automatically, it would be the best way.

then for refreshing the db in ram on other machines, set the service to check db's file date/time at regular intervals, it would help to reduce network traffic. no need to refresh if it's not newer.

To add to notnull's idea about updating the db by command line, one could also create a cron job and have it update the db hourly or whenever, until v1.5 comes out and hopefully has it built in.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Look at all options in Command Line Options
-update
Save the database to disk.
is this what you was looking for?
Rene

Post by Rene »

thank you stamil but no i wasn't, i would like to set up the database to be used on many computers.

ideally have it reside on a nas and all the computers could update it as needed.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Speaking strictly for myself here.

I would like to be able to run Everything on each computer on my lan.
Have them all enumerate non automatic network shares, with access set to 'everyone'. (Samba/Cifs)
Basically public shares only, unless you add one by hand.

Then it reaches out to other computers on the same lan, or in the same workgroup.
Whether done as an addon to Samba/Cifs, or as another port based service, I do not know.
My networking knowledge is only rated at 100db or so, I haven't learned enough to scream quieter yet.
My thinking is that when a file is updated on a computer.
It updates its own DB, then say once a minute it advertises the update.

Or perhaps Everything could send automated queries to all system on the same lan/workgroup, so all responses are always up to date.
Which would be somewhat somewhat laggy, but still so much faster than anything windows has ever done for itself there is no comparison.

What I know is a lot of ram is being used redundantly because each system has its own copy of a lan wide DB.
Nothing wrong with that, except that keeping the network indexes synced and up to date both, is messy.

Janus.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »