Content Searching

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
void
Site Admin

Content Searching

Postby void » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Warning: content searching is extremely slow.
File content is not indexed.

Please combine content: functions with other filters for the best performance.

Content search functions:
content:<text> - Search file content using the associated iFilter. If no iFilter exists UTF-8 content is used.
ansicontent:<text> - File contents are treated as ANSI text.
utf8content:<text> - File contents are treated as UTF-8 text.
utf16content:<text> - File contents are treated as UTF-16 (Unicode) text.
utf16becontent:<text> - File contents are treated as UTF-16 (Big Endian) text.

Example, find emails, modified this week, containing the text "keyboard":

Code: Select all

*.eml dm:thisweek content:keyboard

Note: the content: function requires Everything 1.4 or later.
Please note: Everything will not display any results until all content has been scanned.
Adding results one at a time that match the content search is on my TODO list.

frozst

Re: Content Searching

Postby frozst » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:38 pm

It would be great if you could actually index the content of some files but I guess that then the db would be massive...

Thanks!

ccs86

Postby ccs86 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi there, loving your program!

On content searching, it seems that Everything is excluding certain file types from content searching. Is there a setting where I can control that?

Specifically, it is not searching content of .LIB files, and I have a bunch which contain plain text.

Thanks!

therube

Postby therube » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:50 pm

That's odd.
Never would have expected that.
(Other file extensions also seem to be affected, at the least, .exe. Suspect that it is excluding "binary" file types, by extension, but still I would not have expected that.)

horst.epp

Postby horst.epp » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:46 pm

frozst wrote:It would be great if you could actually index the content of some files but I guess that then the db would be massive...

Thanks!

Windows indexing does this and works fine for most type of files using IFilters.

boxxybabe

Postby boxxybabe » Thu May 12, 2016 10:43 am

Hi,

thanks for the content search feature!
When I use a saved search, the search criteria is not shown on the search field. When I then output content:<text> to the search field, Everything searches against all files instead of searching against those files that were searched by the saved search. Would it be possible to have an option to search content from those files only that were initially found based on the file search criteria? I assume this would be really easy to implement - just combine both search criteria automatically when adding that content search.

Thanks,

B

void
Site Admin

Postby void » Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 am

A separate content field is on my TODO list.
For now, please add the content: search to the end of your search, eg:

Code: Select all

foo.bar content:qux

adamantine

Postby adamantine » Mon May 16, 2016 4:06 am

void, i have 27000 cue-files and 500 txt-files (they are not big at all and they are changing not substantially)

1) could you recommend me the exact function (so that content search was faster)?:
content / ansicontent / utf8content / utf16content / utf16becontent

2) is it possible to implement some simple content-indexing system so that content search was much faster or even instantaneous (only for small txt-files like cue/txt)?

(i use 1.4.0.703 + xp sp 2)

void
Site Admin

Postby void » Mon May 16, 2016 6:00 am

1) could you recommend me the exact function (so that content search was faster)?:
content / ansicontent / utf8content / utf16content / utf16becontent

If the CUE files are mostly ASCII text then utf8content: would be the fastest, otherwise content:

utf8content: will load the entire file into memory and scan it directly (fast).
content: will load the associated iFilter and the iFilter will search the file as a stream for your contents (slow).
ansicontent:, utf16content: and utf16becontent: will convert the contents to UTF-8 in memory before the comparison (slow).

content: will use utf8content: when no associated iFilter is present. Which will be for most file types on Windows XP.

As always, please check the performance yourself:
Open Everything in debug mode and try utf8content: and content: and check the db search time for both searches.

2) is it possible to implement some simple content-indexing system so that content search was much faster or even instantaneous (only for small txt-files like cue/txt)?

It's possible, the Everything database is capable, maybe in a future release..
27000 CUE files on a SSD would only take a few seconds to search.
Copying all the CUE/TXT files to a single text file and using a good text editor to search would also be faster.

otravers

Postby otravers » Tue May 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi, may I suggest you look into Windows' native search index? It can apparently be tapped by third-party applications. I tried one app that provides full-text search that way, it's called DeskRule and it's pretty fast.

EchterStahlmann

Postby EchterStahlmann » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:30 pm

otravers wrote:Hi, may I suggest you look into Windows' native search index? It can apparently be tapped by third-party applications. I tried one app that provides full-text search that way, it's called DeskRule and it's pretty fast.

Yes, interesting question!!!

What's the nature of content searchers and why do they run slow (or how do you define slow)?

BDBill

Postby BDBill » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 pm

The drawback to Window search is, it does not index network drives. This is all I use Everything for. All of my data is on network drives.

rgbigel

Postby rgbigel » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 pm

I may be blind, but I can not find the Content: function in the help for search syntax.
I knew it was there (from the very bottom of my memory about reading in forum).
:roll:

tuska

Postby tuska » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Return to “Support”