How to include Recycle Bin in results?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
terrypin

How to include Recycle Bin in results?

Post by terrypin »

Could someone tell me how I include Recycle Bin files in my search results please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
therube

Re: How to include Recycle Bin in results?

Post by therube »

They are, already.
Only Everything will not see the "pretty" names that Recycler uses (say; year_end_report.txt), instead it sees the "internal" names like; Dc5974.txt.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Well, I'm not getting any hits for Recycle Bin files.

I used to see them, but I get none now, hence my post.

Where is it specified please?

I've just tried using Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders > Add, and navigating to Desktop > Recycle BIn, but no new entry appeared.

I think the path of these Recycle Bin hits used to be displayed as something like C:\System Volume Information. So I added that folder, but once again in several tests I got no hits. Here's an example:

therube

Post by therube »

Because what you are seeing when you "open" Recycle Bin are "pretty" names.
They are NOT the actual names as stored on disk.

In order to "see" Recycle Bin files, their "actual" names, you need to use a utility that sees them as they are.

Everything does that.
Or I would expect most ("real") file managers to do that also.

Windows Explorer will only show the "pretty" name.

There does exist some file in Recycle Bin that "is" 20150144HorstedKaynes.jpg, but it is not named as such, on disk, except to something like Windows Explorer (or some other utility that reads the "translated", "ugly" name).

Can you scan the Recycle Bin for Duplicate Files ...
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

As I said, in its list of hits Everything used to include files that were in the Recycle Bin. Now, it doesn't. In any form - pretty, ugly or just plain vanilla. There are none. Did you see my example?
therube

Post by therube »

On Win7 now (earlier was XP).

And Win7 is totally different.

$Recycle.Bin directory itself is seen, but no files nor subdirectories to it.
(Run As Admin, makes no difference.)

No files are seen

In any case, still, files that go to the Recycle Bin do not retain their original names (again except in Windows Explorer).

For every file deleted, two files end up in Recycle Bin.
One the file itself, the second, an index, if you will of the file's original location/name.

Why everything is not seeing it, don't know?
Perhaps Recycle Bin file entries are not stored in the MFT, but only in some (other) virtualized structure? If you specifically add $Recycle.Bin as a File LIst (or similar) are the files then seen? (And again realize that the names are different from their source.)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

I'm hoping that the author can answer my question.

--
PC: Quad Core 2.66 GHz, 4 GB, running XP (SP3).
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Why should one want to see the strange Recycle bin names in Everything ?
They are useless because there is no relation to the real file names in the file system.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Basically what therube has already said:

The Recycle bin is a hidden and system folder.
Please make sure you are not excluding hidden and system files in Tools -> Options -> Exclude.
(Hidden and system files should be included by default.)

The recycle bin should be indexed as $Recycle.Bin on each volume, for example:
C:\$Recycle.Bin

Recycle bin filenames are obfuscated.
Windows Explorer does not show the true filenames for recycled items, instead it shows the "Display name".
Everything considers this "Display name" file content and does not index this information as it would be slow.

I am considering an option to add support for using the "Display name" when using folder indexing in a future release of Everything.
This would show the original recycle bin filename.

If your $Recycle.Bin folder is indexed in Everything and you are not seeing deleted files end up in the recycle bin there maybe an issue with the Everything monitors.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks.
The recycle bin should be indexed as $Recycle.Bin on each volume, for example:
C:\$Recycle.Bin

In case it helps, here also are my settings under NTFS:

--
void
Developer

Post by void »

It is currently not possible to search for files in the recycle bin by "Display name" in Everything.

When you deleted 20150114HorstedKeynes.jpg it would have been renamed to something like C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-2-34-5678901234-5678901234-5678901234-567\$ABCDEFG.jpg

The Recycle bin you can browse in Windows Explorer is a virtual folder.
This virtual folder will show the original filename instead of the obfuscated one.

To check if Everything is indexing your recycle bin, please search for:
C:\$Recycle.Bin\
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

First, I still don't understand how to add the indexing C:\$Recycle.Bin\ that you suggested?
void wrote:It is currently not possible to search for files in the recycle bin by "Display name" in Everything.
I'm thoroughly confused! Was this possible in any previous version? As mentioned, I used to see results which appeared with paths like C:\System Volume Information. These appeared to be files in the Recycle Bin. That's the functionality I'm trying to restore.

Even if the file name shown in the hits is not the original one (I can't remember) it can still be very useful, prompting a visual search in the (sorted) Recycle Bin itself.
When you deleted 20150114HorstedKeynes.jpg it would have been renamed to something like C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-2-34-5678901234-5678901234-5678901234-567\$ABCDEFG.jpg
As you saw from my screenshot, no such result was delivered by Everything.
The Recycle bin you can browse in Windows Explorer is a virtual folder.
This virtual folder will show the original filename instead of the obfuscated one.
Understood. But doesn't help resolve the current problem!
To check if Everything is indexing your recycle bin, please search for:
C:\$Recycle.Bin\
If you mean, enter C:\$Recycle.Bin\ in Everything's target box, then I did that and got no hits. But then, why would I, if I haven't yet set that up?

--
void
Developer

Post by void »

First, I still don't understand how to add the indexing C:\$Recycle.Bin\ that you suggested?
I was probably referring to adding a folder index from Tools -> Options -> Folders.
Please disregard adding a separate recycle bin index.

The recycle bin is already indexed.
There is no need to add a duplicated index of your recycle bin.
I'm thoroughly confused! Was this possible in any previous version?
Functionality hasn't changed.
It has always been this way.
As mentioned, I used to see results which appeared with paths like C:\System Volume Information. These appeared to be files in the Recycle Bin. That's the functionality I'm trying to restore.
Deleted files will appear in C:\$Recycle.bin\
You might be thinking of system restore which would backup files to C:\System Volume Information.
See Start menu -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> System Protection.
Even if the file name shown in the hits is not the original one (I can't remember) it can still be very useful, prompting a visual search in the (sorted) Recycle Bin itself.
// This should still be the case, does searching for C:\$recycle.bin\ find any results?
see below..
As you saw from my screenshot, no such result was delivered by Everything.
The filename has changed, 20150114HorstedKeynes.jpg does not match $ABCDEFG.jpg.
If you mean, enter C:\$Recycle.Bin\ in Everything's target box, then I did that and got no hits. But then, why would I, if I haven't yet set that up?
Yes, and this is where the issue might lie.
If you have another volume with a $Recycle.bin folder, please try copying it to your C:\
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

I was probably referring to adding a folder index from Tools -> Options -> Folders.
Please disregard adding a separate recycle bin index.
OK.
The recycle bin is already indexed.
There is no need to add a duplicated index of your recycle bin.
OK. So it looks as if something is clearly wrong here, as I still haven't seen any results (from many searches of various types, as well as that specific example) which show any of the many contents. 20150114HorstedKeynes.jpg, is one of 74 JPGs in the C: Recycle bin. Entering $*.jpg as a search target in Everything delivers no results. Should it? Nor does $* deliver any with paths that indicate they are in the Recycle Bin.
Functionality hasn't changed.
It has always been this way.

Deleted files will appear in C:\$Recycle.bin\
Is that what the Path column would be? If so, I've not been able to get any such hits.
You might be thinking of system restore which would backup files to C:\System Volume Information.
See Start menu -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> System Protection.
Ah, you're right, sorry for the red herring.
The filename has changed, 20150114HorstedKeynes.jpg does not match $ABCDEFG.jpg.
Understood, but see above ... no match for $*.jpg
Yes, and this is where the issue might lie.
Agreed.
If you have another volume with a $Recycle.bin folder, please try copying it to your C:\
I don't follow. Was that not a list of my 'volumes' I showed in my last post? There was no reference to Recycle.bin or $Recycle.bin in either of my screenshots.

Nor could I find anything relevant in Everything.INI or the XP registry.

--
void
Developer

Post by void »

I don't follow. Was that not a list of my 'volumes' I showed in my last post? There was no reference to Recycle.bin or $Recycle.bin in either of my screenshots.

Nor could I find anything relevant in Everything.INI or the XP registry.
In XP, the recycle bin is in a different location: c:\recycler

Does Everything find any results if you search for:

Code: Select all

c:\recycler\
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

void wrote:
In XP, the recycle bin is in a different location: c:\recycler

Does Everything find any results if you search for:

c:\recycler\
Yes! I'd emptied the bin shortly before your post, to see if that helped, but this is what I see now (with a wider target of \recycler):

I renamed a test file abcdefg.JPG to abcdefg.XYZ and then deleted it. A search for *.xyz then found the file

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-12 blah blah 008\Dc43231.xyz

So Everything is apparently working 'properly', thanks. The confusion was largely down to my flawed memory! Contrary to what I thought, it's now plain that I've never seen useful recycled entries in the Everything hits.

As you, therube and horst.epp have said, the current inclusion of such hits is of no practical use, as only the extension is preserved. A new feature in a future release to show original names would be very useful.

--
therube

Post by therube »

Heh, I'm confused now.

No files are seen
Actually that's not quite right.
Win7 is different.
But what I happened to search for is what was returned.
So not seeing anything (except for the $Recycle.Bin directory('s) itself) is expected.
(Kind of like a DUH moment there.)

In order to see the files, you need to do more, like include the Path (Ctrl+U) or preface the directory name with a \, so \$Recycle.Bin.

In the above case, "20150144HorstedKaynes.jpg" will never be found, as there is no such named file (anymore, once it has been deleted, is in the Recycle Bin).

Though a general search will find it, ".jpg".
Now you won't have any idea that it was found, because the name has be obfuscated, but it has been found. One of the .jpg files that are shown, in particular that are in the C:\RECYCLER (C:\$Recycle.Bin) path is your wanted 20150144HorstedKaynes.jpg file - you just don't know which, without more investigation ;-).
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

therube wrote:Heh, I'm confused now.

No files are seen
Actually that's not quite right.
Win7 is different.
But what I happened to search for is what was returned.
So not seeing anything (except for the $Recycle.Bin directory('s) itself) is expected.
(Kind of like a DUH moment there.)
Although I don't understand what you mean by the above (and anyway I have XP as you know) we're agreed about the following, which is essentially what I said in the conclusion of my last post:
In order to see the files, you need to do more, like include the Path (Ctrl+U) or preface the directory name with a \, so \$Recycle.Bin.

In the above case, "20150144HorstedKaynes.jpg" will never be found, as there is no such named file (anymore, once it has been deleted, is in the Recycle Bin).

Though a general search will find it, ".jpg".
Now you won't have any idea that it was found, because the name has be obfuscated, but it has been found. One of the .jpg files that are shown, in particular that are in the C:\RECYCLER (C:\$Recycle.Bin) path is your wanted 20150144HorstedKaynes.jpg file - you just don't know which, without more investigation ;-).
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

I'm scratching my head again, because it seems that sometimes the results for files in the Recycle Bin DO have the correct names.

A search for myplaces.kml gave this result:

Maybe it was examples like these that made me think they were handled 'normally'?

--
therube

Post by therube »

It must be that some of those directories/entries are an albatross, not actually (no longer actually) connected to "Recycle Bin".

I have some "ancients" like that too, dating back to 1992.
And those files are named (in Everything) as they are on disk.
And those same files are not seen in (Windows) Recycle Bin.

The oldest file I have there is SAMEDATE.COM, v1.1.
I now use the more recent v1.2 version, that I hacked some ages ago (1995).

SAMEDATE -- V1.2 Public Domain Utility
David Kirschbaum, Toad Hall
SAMEDATE -- call error, calling sequence is:

SAMEDATE file1 file2

Action is to give file2 the same date as file1
For me Win7 x64 machine, I had to come up with something a bit more exotic:

@ECHO OFF

ECHO  SETTIME  sets a file's date to the "same" file, named "abc"
ECHO  a sort of more current variation of my old ancient DOS settime program
ECHO.
ECHO  therube 02/20/2015
ECHO.
ECHO  File to change the date of:  %1

FOR   %%i in (%1) do  SET   BASENAME=%%~dpiabc
ECHO  reference file (aka "abc"):  "%BASENAME%"
ECHO.
ls -l %1
ls -l "%BASENAME%"
ECHO.

PAUSE

touch %1 --reference="%BASENAME%"
ls -l %1

PAUSE
EXIT
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks, you're right. I cleared out the bin yesterday but those 2008 entries are still being displayed in Everything's results with names like
"C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1214440339-583907252-839522115-1008\Dc43369.locale\default_myplaces.kml"

I'm not a batch file expert, but I'm curious to know more about that one. Exactly how is it used please?

--
ezriderz

Post by ezriderz »

[quote="void"]It is currently not possible to search for files in the recycle bin by "Display name" in Everything.

I can clearly remember not more than a few months ago that I could search for a video file on my system and if I'd deleted it it would show in the recycle bin with the system name appended to the display name. If I had two copies, one deleted, they would both show up, just as if they were in two different folders on the system.

If you could do it then, why not now? I'm still on Win7 so what has changed to break this most desirable feature?

How can we get it back?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Recycle bin file names are preserved if the containing folder is deleted.

For example, if you have two files:
delete_me_folder1\delete_me_file1.txt
delete_me_folder2\delete_me_file2.txt

If delete_me_folder1 is deleted, the filename of delete_me_file1.txt is preserved. Only the folder name delete_me_folder1 is mangled.
However, if delete_me_file2.txt is deleted directly, the filename delete_me_file2.txt is mangled.
If you could do it then, why not now? I'm still on Win7 so what has changed to break this most desirable feature?
How can we get it back?
Delete the containing folder, instead of the files directly.
I will need to add the option to index the display name, instead of the file name (which would be very slow).
ezriderz

Post by ezriderz »

void wrote:Recycle bin file names are preserved if the containing folder is deleted.
I will need to add the option to index the display name, instead of the file name (which would be very slow).
I am quite sure that in the past I've deleted files, for example, "The Daily show s38E01.mkv'" then using Everything to search "Daily Show S38"
My results were:
The Daily show s38E01.mkv ?RECYCLE XXX (random text)
The Daily show s38E02.mkv /TV Download

Without anything changing on my system, Everything now only returns:
The Daily show s38E02.mkv /TV Download
with no mention of the Recycled file.

Why has this changed? It would be so very helpful to have the option to include the Recycle Bin in the search results. A switch could enable indexing the display names in the Recycle Bin for those like me who want this feature.

I appreciate your willingness to help with this. I've been touting Everything to everyone I know for years as the most useful tool on my desktop. With 10Tb of storaage it is easy to lose track of files. Everything finds them instantly.