Exclude directory switch or flag for create-filelist

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
MM_MM

Exclude directory switch or flag for create-filelist

Post by MM_MM »

Is there a way to add an exclude flag or switch to the command -create-filelist

eg.

Everything.exe -create-filelist "windows.efu" "C:\" -exclude "C:\Windows" , "C:\Program Files"

Could be a single exclude or multiple exclude, I'm only using windows folder as an example I plan to use it on other folders.
void
Developer

Re: Exclude directory switch or flag for create-filelist

Post by void »

The option to exclude folders, including only certain file types and excluding certain file types would be useful at the command line when creating file lists.
I've added to my TODO list: exclude command line options for creating file lists.

To exclude a folder from a filelist with Everything 1.3:
  • Create the file list normally with the -create-filelist command line option, for example:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -create-filelist "example.efu" "C:\"
  • Open the example.efu with Everything.
  • Type in the search to exclude the folders you don't want:

Code: Select all

!"C:\windows" !"C:\Program Files"
  • From the File menu, click Export...
  • Save the new filelist with the excluded folders.
alittleofeverything

Post by alittleofeverything »

Does the absence of this functionality mean that folders configured to be excluded in the UI are not honored for exclusion when creating file lists?

I'm having an issue where filelists I'm creating are not excluding folders that I configured in the UI to be excluded, but I'm unsure as to whether that means that the filelist process just ignores those settings, or whether it is an issue with the name of the folder (it starts with a "#" sign). Let me know either way, and then I can start a new thread focused just on my issue. But it felt logical to start with my above question here, as it informs my next steps.

Thanks!
alittleofeverything

Based on my testing it looks like -create-filelist does not take into account any Excluded Folder settings (configured via the UI, and thus present in the .ini file). Is this by design, or is it a bug? And either way, are there currently any ways of getting -create-filelist to honor Excluded Folder settings?

I'm using Version 1.3.4.686 (x64).

Thanks!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, Everything 1.3 does not provide a way to filter files with -create-file-list

It is recommend to create a file list of all files with -create-file-list, open the list in Everything, set a search to filter the desired results and then export a new file list.

I've added -create-file-list-exclude-folders, -create-file-list-include-only-files and -create-file-list-exclude-files to Everything 861b.

Examples
To create a file list excluding tmp files:
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-exclude-files "*.tmp"

To create a file list excluding lnk and thumbs.db files:
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-exclude-files "*.lnk;thumbs.db"

To exclude folders with the name 1033:
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-exclude-folders "1033"

To exclude a specific folder
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-exclude-folders "c:\windows"

To exclude specific folders
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-exclude-folders "c:\windows;c:\program files;c:\program files (x86)"

To include specified files only:
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-include-only-files "*.mp3;*.flac"

regex can be used in the exclude lists, for example, exclude files starting with A-M
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-exclude-files "regex:^[A-M]"

Path matching can be done by including a \ in your filter (\\ for regex).
Everything.exe -create-file-list "myfilelist.efu" "c:\" -create-file-list-exclude-files "c:\folder\a specific file.txt"
alittleofeverything

Awesome! That works great -- many thanks! :D