Search by Size not working in recent beta versions

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
cancerea

Search by Size not working in recent beta versions

Post by cancerea »

Hi,

Since last some beta version search by size is not working, I tried everything but it just shows "querying" in the status bar until I cancel the query.

Include USN Journal in Recent Changes (all volume) is checked. Deleted db/ini file manually number of times but without any luck.

My Search syntax (not working):
1) size:>10mb
2) dupe:* size:>10mb

Any clue? as it is very good feature, also if somebody knows in which version it was working so I can try that version to use this feature?
Elbart

Re: Search by Size not working in recent beta versions

Post by Elbart »

It does work, size: and the queries regarding the date just take a very long time.
cancerea

Post by cancerea »

Elbart wrote:It does work, size: and the queries regarding the date just take a very long time.
How much time? I waited for 39 minutes after your message, but no result(s). It looks some issue with new betas? or my system ?
(before I got results instantly in a second or two, from 500GB drive)
nagan

Post by nagan »

Size queries do work and as Elbart says takes a huge time because it is not indexed by size.Hope you have got the latest beta. Void had proposed to read all the column details from NTFS journal itself , but seems to have gone on a long leave. Will have to wait till he comes...
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

cancerea wrote:
Elbart wrote:It does work, size: and the queries regarding the date just take a very long time.
How much time? I waited for 39 minutes after your message, but no result(s). It looks some issue with new betas? or my system ?
(before I got results instantly in a second or two, from 500GB drive)
OK, 39 minutes is certainly too long, I usually only had to wait for a minute or two.
therube

Post by therube »

> Size queries do work
> takes a huge time

Not working & taking a huge time are two different situations.

Size: does work.
Depending on your query, it may take a huge amount of time.

In many cases, it will always best to filter first, then apply various functions.
Some queries just will not be efficient.

> .mkv (of which i only have two; (1) 1KB, (1) 7,155KB) size:>5MB

does correct return the 7,155KB file.

Now if I did that same search with .zip, it would be time consuming, inefficient.
But if I can filter it more from the start, then again it can work, efficiently.

> cs .zip size:>1mb

Filtering first with "cs .zip" returns 66 items rather then the >12,000 items that .zip returns. Limited to "cs .zip", the size: function can then be of value.

Otherwise no much so.

Likewise if using the dupe: function, if you filtered on Audio or Video that could significantly reduce the number of files listed, & then filtered even further giving a reasonable number of results, then you can more efficiently sort by the Size column or add a size: function to the query.
cancerea

Post by cancerea »

Great tip and it's working like a charm (*.zip size:>10mb or *.mp4 size:>10mb etc),
Thanks a lot and once again thanks for this great tool.