Everything for Classic Shell?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
edwooger

Everything for Classic Shell?

Post by edwooger »

Hi. I just found Everything as recommended by someone on-line.
Anyway, I use Classic Shell, which is a Start Menu replacement and if you recall the default Start Menu; it has a little search tab..
Well, Classic Shell has that too and I am wondering if there is a way to have the search bar use Everything instead of the default windows searcher?

I tried using Google for this answer but Everything is such a common used word, I comes up with everything but what I want to know :s
Thank you in advance for answering my question and I look forward to resolving this issue. I think this would also be useful to anyone else customising their PCs :)

Sincerely,
Ed.
xpclient

Re: Everything for Classic Shell?

Post by xpclient »

Classic Shell 3.9.x/4.0 is not open source but 3.6.8 is (the last open source version). If the author of Everything submitted a patch for it, that would really be awesome.
edwooger

Post by edwooger »

From what I saw you can type in commands for custom tabs. yes, I'm using the 3.9.x And I can use Everything but only as a shortcut :/
I should it would be cool if I could just type stuff in like in Windows, maybe it Everything is open source someone can make a plugin. That be pretty neat!
I'll have to find out :)

If someone knows programming and can make a plugin for Classic Shell open source: that be awesome :)
Just a little nudge ;)
myNameIsJonny!

Post by myNameIsJonny! »

great minds... remembered seeing this, finally getting round to making 'it all work together'....

you've probably worked this out (?!), you could even argue (chronologically) that you inspired the voidPeeps... from Start Menu Search box usage for beginners and power users (circa 1month after your post : )
Classic Start Menu allows you to add Search Providers, which you can use to pass on any text you type into the search box to other programs. It can be passed on to any program that accepts text at the command line - your favorite desktop search tool or even web search in your default internet browser. The search provider functionality is a replacement for the separate search box which was removed from most web browsers like Internet Explorer 9 and up. For Classic Styles of the menu, Search Providers can be registered by adding sub-items for the Search box from the Customize Start Menu tab: This can be explained with an example.

Suppose you want to create a search provider for Everything, which is a very good third party desktop search tool:

● For Classic styles of the Start Menu, go to the Customize Start Menu tab in Classic Start Menu settings.
● Insert a custom item as a subitem for the search box (Custom is the last item in the right column). Drag the custom item over the Search box in the left column.
● Double click this custom item to edit it and in the Command field, type:
"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -search "%1"
● Give it a name (Label), icon and tip if you want. Click OK twice to save all settings.

The result will be what the screenshot below shows: