Can anyone think of a solution(modifiers)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
vsub

Can anyone think of a solution(modifiers)

Post by vsub »

I really don't like that fact that everything immediately tries to search when you type a modifier...for example:
If you type dc: it will immediately start scanning all files\folders even if you are typing dc: with intent to write something else too.
Or if you type mon but if you actually want month,everything will start scanning for monday immediately
There are other cases too
nagan

Re: Can anyone think of a solution(modifiers)

Post by nagan »

I really don't like that fact that everything immediately tries to search when you type a modifier...for example:
If you type dc: it will immediately start scanning all files\folders even if you are typing dc: with intent to write something else too.
This would seem an essential feature of search as you type. It gets ready before the next term of the modifier in advance. But in this case it is the direction and priority of scan (if associated with any other search term), which already Void would have noted. You should give it to him for the efforts he takes in developing this exemplary product also considering / accommodating /responding almost to everyone's views and posts.
galneon

Post by galneon »

... This is what makes Everything so great.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I recommend a keyboard shortcut that you could set to toggle search as you type, with status indicated in the status bar. There are other times when you might not want search as you type, as when entering regular expressions. So being able to quickly toggle that capability is useful in other contexts.
vsub

Post by vsub »

My point was...try typing dc
The moment you type : everything will start a search on the whole hdd even if you wanted to type dc:today
Typing t after that,everything will freeze for a second or two and then the message will appear asking you if you want to abort the search.If you abort it,when you start typing again,it will start searching again and then another msgbox,then you have to abort again,then again and again...

The same thing happens when you are deleting part of the modifier.

The only solution is to type what you want to search for and add : after you type everything...otherwise it's freezing and message boxes after message boxes.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

vsub wrote:My point was...try typing dc
The moment you type : everything will start a search on the whole hdd even if you wanted to type dc:today
Yes, but that won't happen if you have search as you type turned off. So an easy quick way to toggle that setting would be a reasonable workaround, I think, and useful in other contexts.
nagan

Post by nagan »

vsub wrote:My point was...try typing dc
Typing t after that,everything will freeze for a second or two and then the message will appear asking you if you want to abort the search.If you abort it,when you start typing again,it will start searching again and then another msgbox,then you have to abort again,then again and again...

The same thing happens when you are deleting part of the modifier.

The only solution is to type what you want to search for and add : after you type everything...otherwise it's freezing and message boxes after message boxes.
Certainly I am not able to replicate this either in XP or Win7 x 64. I am able to type the full search term even though ET displays "Querying" in the status bar on typing dc:.
Only when the cursor is moved to some other place away from search bar I get the message alert.
vsub

Post by vsub »

When everything start scanning(immediately after I type ":" ),if I try to type something,everything will freeze and the msgbox will appear asking me if I want to abort the search.
If I abort it,the moment I continue typing the rest of the search term,it will happen the same thing...everything freeze and the msgbox will appear again.

I like the "search as you type" feature but in this case it's a bad thing
The msgbox is stealing the focus